Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Blade Sharpener pics

steve-wis

Hello,

So here are some pics of the blade sharpener I bought a few days ago.  Been busy so took a while to get out to the garage and take the pics.

The balancer sits on the bench and checks the blade in a flat position, not as accurate as the ones that spin the blade but better than a nail, I am thinking.  I need to make a spacer to hold the blades on center on the balancer, the steps in the cone do not match good enough.  Otherwise it works well, paid $125 for it and it was only a half hour from me, listed on craigslist.  It will work on left or right hand blades, any length.  The guy I bought it from added a piece of square tubing across the front for more support for wider blades.  Seems to work well!

Steve

thumbnail_IMG_1604.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1605.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1606.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1607.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1608.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1609.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1610.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1611.jpg

• Like 5

Tom,

The balancer came with the grinder.  It is supposed to have a post that it sets on that would be mounted on the right side just in front of the motor, but the previous owner didn't like to reach back to balance blades, so he tossed the post and just set the balancer on the bench.  

And Bill, no problem, just took me a while.  Now that I am retired and have so much time, everything takes longer, not sure why that is. :)

Steve

Edited by steve-wis
  • Like 1

steve-wis; I am confused as to how you can check the balance of a blade if the cone is not on a post with a "pointy" end. Sitting on a flat surface an imbalance in the blade won't tip the cone one way or another. I don't think the blade is supposed to move on the cone. I believe the cone and blade together are supposed to tip towards the heavier end of the blade. Correct me if I am wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.dOd 

Dave,

I didn't show a pic of the balancer taken apart, it is two pcs.  The base has a shaft with a point on it, and then the cone sits over it and rocks.  In the two pics of it with the blade on it, you can see the gap between the two halves under the blade.  It will allow the blade to rock down almost until the tip would hit the bench is is sitting on.  Instructions say if the amount of "dip" is less that an inch it is close enough.  You can see in the pics that the one on the balancer is not dipping near that much.

Steve

• Like 2

Okay; operates the way I thought it should. Can't tell it is on it's post from the picture. Thanks for the reply Steve.

That is a really nice setup. Gives me ideas about how to build a jig for my HF sander. I just use a hand grinder now, and it is very easy to overheat the edge. I balance blades by clamping a thin 1/16" piece of metal in the vise, finding the center of the blade's mounting holes and  setting it on the strip. I have tried a knife edge balance strip, but it's oversensitive and having a narrow ledge works better.

I'm realize I'm asking for trouble, but what angle do y'all recommend tor the blade edges, and should the edge be squared or sharp?

p.s. Doesn't all that dry grass on your demo blade affect the balance on your precision cone? C|:  Just joking - I assume you just grabbed a blade for "demo purposes" in the pic. Thanks!

Edited by AC710

Allen,

Yes, i had just grabbed a blade i had setting around.  According to the book on the sharpener, blades should be sharpened at an angle of 30 degrees.  It doesn't address the condition of the edge, but I have always just taken a fine file and made one or two light passes on the edge to flatten it a bit.  I have read that up to 1/32 of an  inch of flat is good, and on new blades that is about what is on them.  Others have said that the flattened edge on new blades is only there for safety purposes, but when I do get a new set I just put them on like they are and they work fine, so in my opinion sharpening them that way should be good.  The flat is only there to make the edge less likely to chip as far as i know.

Steve

• Like 1