Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Starting a newer Prestige?

bruker1

Last fall I picked up a low hours 2018 Prestige that has fuel injection. When I start it from a cold start at about 3/4 throttle I get a loud pop and a small puff of blueish smoke. There's no choke so what's the prefered way to start these things? Or doesn't it matter?

Every engine is different and not just among engines of different makes and models.  The recommended(?) starting procedure for cold Lombardini's is WOT along with fuel pre-igniter/heater for low temps.  Some enrichment or timing involving the injector rack IIRC (got bad CRS).

• 2 weeks later...

My 2015 Prestige (27 hp Briggs Commercial V-Twin) requires full throttle at start. As soon as it fires, I lower it and give it 30 sec to warm up before backing out of the garage and raising the rpms. No smoke or pop. Download your manual to confirm but I bet its the same.

Edited by tripleguy
Update
  • Like 1

How do you like your Prestige? After spending the last 20 years using older Simplicity mowing equipment I have to say its night and day difference. I'm not talking about how it will hold up, just how nice it drives and mows. The fill suspension really lets you take advantage of the blade tip speed and cut fast without rattling your fillings. It probably won't last as long but I'll enjoy it while I have it. Just turned 100 hours on mine.

I bought mine last fall and it had ~75hrs on it. The power steering is MUCH better than the PS on the `04 Prestige I was using prior to this one.  I bought the `04 new and it has over 1,000 hrs on it so I'm sure I'll get the same with this new one. Yea, the suspension is great and definately does smooth out the ride. The 52" deck is a beast and I think it cuts just as good as the 50" on my `04.