Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

36" Simplicity Tiller 1690039

wwbragg

I am trying to resurrect a 36" Tiller model 1690039.  I need the idler pulley shown as item number 28 in the parts list.  Partstree shows the part as part number 2105380SM in the picture below.  Notice the two locking collars.  The pulley has an excentric hub.  The associated collars then cinch the pully onto the idler shaft.  Partstree sent me their last one but it arrived without the locking collars.  The pulley was defective so I requested a replacement but after about 6 weeks I cancelled the order. I found one at SEPW but it arrived without the collars.  I'll check with them in the AM but in the mean time, does anybody have the locking collars??

thumb.png

list.png

Edited by wwbragg
spelling

They are probably generic collars you can purchase at most any implement dealership or bearing supply. I know we always kept a few common sizes when I worked at the Deere dealer. 

• Like 1

Thanks, guys.  I found an unrelated pully with what looks like a similar collar for $8.  If that doesn't work, you have given me more options.

• Like 1

I was intrigued by this since the parts diagram shows no locking rings. I took some pics of my tiller idlers. The OEM locking ring is an integrated part of the pulley. I'm thinking the ring is welded to a short tube the length of the pulley center. The pulley hub is then pressed on to the ring/tube during manufacture.  The whole thing then slides on to the mounting tube on the idler pulley bracket and tightens with two allen screws.

If two separate rings are used, the pulley will be offset 1/2" or so from the flat idler and the other tiller pulleys, because the idler pulley bracket tube is too short. A generic pulley with an offset bearing could be used - there is enough room for separate lock rings. 

I am wondering if someone has already modified your idler setup or built one using a different pulley attachment.

tiller pulleys 1.jpg

tiller pulleys 2.jpg

Partstree shows the pully and locking collar as I show above but they are on back order.  Jack's does not show the part and neither does SEPW.  I called SEPW this morning and spoke with Scott.  He was most helpful.  (I'm going to route my future business to SEPW.)  They had, like, 18 in stock but only one included the collar. (of course, that was not the one they sent me.)  Scott called Briggs and they said, "Yup!  It should include a collar."  I can't tell if the one shown by AC710 was another type that had set screws built into the hub or that is, in fact, the locking hub of which I speak.  

Briggs is going to send some out and Scott is going to take care of me.  Won't be long now.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wwbragg said:

I can't tell if the one shown by AC710 was another type that had set screws built into the hub or that is, in fact, the locking hub of which I speak.  

The one I show is not the same as the parts tree pic with separate collars. It is a one-piece pulley with one locking collar that is a part of the pulley. I am sure it is an OEM part. You can see from the pic that the pulley is flush with the end of the pipe/axle, so there is no room for another collar.

Simplicity may have used an offset-center pulley for this replacement part so the second ring would fit. The pulley must be offset, otherwise the #28 pulley will not line up with the rest of the pulley set.

It's just something to check out if you are able to get the parts.

I'm not sure a second lock ring is necessary - a spacer or washers could be used to get the proper distance from the mounting bracket.

A simple set screw in the hub would have been too simple.  Engineers are like puppies and have to leave their scent on everything within range.

3 hours ago, wwbragg said:

A simple set screw in the hub would have been too simple.  Engineers are like puppies and have to leave their scent on everything within range.

Fer sure! Lots of choices, they could have also threaded the bracket tube and just put it on with a big nut, like a trailer tire.

Some contributor on one of these forums has a byline "At some point you have to shoot the engineers and ship the product". The best example I have come across is the Sears/Agri-fab front scoop. I call it a first year engineering student's dream machine (and my nightmare). huge levers that don't work, latch that un-adjusts itself, too small controls, and wow, it lifts a load maybe 3 inches off the ground!

8 hours ago, AC710 said:

Sears/Agri-fab front scoop

LOL!  I had one.  Used it once and sold it.  It was ok for moving beauty bark but not much more than that.

8 hours ago, wwbragg said:

Used it once and sold it. 

I used mine once and then took a hacksaw to it and modified it to work with a winch. Now it lifts high and level and is good for zipping stuff around - like rocks, gravel, bricks,  dirt, tools, etc, etc. I've thought about further  modifying it to use the AC tractor lift, but don't have that much need any more.

Good luck on your pulley project - hope you get something that works. I would think about doing an axle mod with a welder so a normal pulley would fit.

23 hours ago, wwbragg said:

Engineers are like puppies and have to leave their scent on everything within range.

Is this a Facebook Group?

On 4/15/2022 at 9:37 AM, wwbragg said:

A simple set screw in the hub would have been too simple. 

Actually, I really like the rather astounding mechanical engineering in the older Simplicities - How DID they get all those control rods, lift cylinders, rock shaft, clutch/brake, drive shaft in that tunnel. It's cool to watch the progression from complex integrated clutch accessory mule drives to the cone clutch BGB PTO concept. And it is so much fun to try and find out where that cotter pin fell out, or "where does this spring go?".

On 4/15/2022 at 10:37 AM, wwbragg said:

Really?  I'll bet you never said that when you worked for Boeing.

On 4/16/2022 at 5:50 PM, ShaunE said:

Really?  I'll bet you never said that when you worked for Boeing.

Oh yeah?  I worked in Finance and said it all the time.  Don't get me wrong.  Engineers are amazing.  They can measure the tensile strength of a piece of wire and figure out how many wires they need to build a suspension bridge.    They sent a man to the moon using nothing more than a slide rule.  But you put a $ in front of those same numbers and their knees turn to Jell-o.