Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
jpw

yup, she's gone

jpw
upon further examination a silver dollar size hole in block just forward of right cylinder. anybody know of good replacement for this motor. i see there is a 18hp kohler command on sale at the small engine warehouse would this be a good replacement or even work for that matter? thanks, joel

PatRarick
Never tried a Command, but it shouldn't be any more difficult than any of the Vanguard conversions I've done. Basically make a conversion plate to raise the engine to bring the crankshaft to the correct height, some minor wiring, possibly an adapter to connect the engine to the driveshaft. I would assume, since Simplicity used these engines, all parts needed to adapt could be purchased from a dealer. I know Al Eden offers some or all of the parts, in addition to a kit, complete with engine. Pat

Kent
Al Eden (long-time dealer and club member) offers complete, detailed, bolt-in replacement kits through his company, Repower Engineering. You can choose either the Kohler Command or the new overhead cam Kohler Triad... see this link for more info... http://www.repowereng.com/ The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

PatRarick
Ha! Beat ya by 7 seconds, Kent LOL. Is it just the picture, or does the exhaust pipe interfere with the snowblower mounting? I thought about running the pipe this way, but felt it would be in the way. I run them so the exhaust exits in the original hole. Pat

jpw
had the OHC motor in 2000 sovereign i had and was not impressed in the least. it had problems from day 1. anybody used this converesion and is the motor on SEW website the correct one for the conversion . thanks, joel

PatRarick
This is not the "correct" engine, but it will work. It has a tapered crankshaft for generator use. That, however, will only be a problem if you have or need a front clutch. I'm not sure about Kohler, but there is enough metal on the Briggs crank to remove it and have it machined to 1" if that is needed. Takes a little more labor, but the machining is much cheaper than a new crankshaft. Pat