Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Bought a Landlord 18 hp

maxwood

Hello, Shopping on marketplace and found a 18Hp Landlord  with mower deck and snowblower

Haven't heard it run yet ,but was  told it did. this is my first one of these , we'll see how it goes .

It has a new looking starter,  hour meter says 920 hrs

Thanks Ken in Mi

IMG_4147.JPG

IMG_4148.JPG

IMG_4149.JPG

IMG_4150.JPG

Edited by maxwood

Is that a DLX or a pre 2000 standard Landlord.  I ask because I can not remember when they switched to foot control hydro.

• Like 1

Congrats on the purchase.  

I think @Chris727 has had some of the newer Landlords/DLX's.  One had a front axle issue if I remember correctly.  Hopefully yours is OK.  

Keep us informed on your progress.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ShaunE said:

Is that a DLX or a pre 2000 standard Landlord.  I ask because I can not remember when they switched to foot control hydro.

Standard Landlord. Looks about like a 1996 or 1997 year. 

@maxwood, That is probably from around '96 to '97 and it pre-dates the DLX. The DLX had foot controls for the hydrostat. I did have a '98 Landlord for a few years. It was a nice low hour machine. It was pretty much mint. I had completely restored the mower deck. The decks cut very well on these models and have good vacuum. Make sure to keep the front axle pivot bolt and spindles greased. Wear in the pivot bolt is common and they are now NLA. The grease fitting is above the muffler, not the easiest to access. The chassis remained pretty much the same design on these models from the early 1990's up the 2001 when the DLX was last produced. I now have a '99-'00 DLX with about 800 hours on it (had 445 when I got it). Engine is doing OK and I haven't done much to it.  I have serviced the hydro a few times and replaced the heim joints on the steering link, and replaced the steering gears, though I think it was my fault they failed. I replaced the front quick hitch on the deck, as well as all of the bearings in the deck, and a new roller bar. Went to replace it with a Prestige but still kept the Landlord and it gets used for the rougher cuts and tigher areas.

Below is the '98 Landlord 18.IMG_0173.thumb.JPG.f0b5cc0c0f5f1c30ba44c5043b1bcb88.JPG

Below is the (much sadder condition) '99-00 Landlord DLX.

IMG_5556.thumb.JPG.e15149a00b4c6275ad58b12e285d61a9.JPG

Edited by Chris727
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello, ihad no idea what model or year. Thanks for the  info.

is there a model number i could use to get a manual 169 ????.

Looks like im in for

quite a project

Thnks Ken in Mi

10 hours ago, maxwood said:

is there a model number i could use to get a manual 169 ????.

From the Simplicity Engine Reference Manual:

image.png.c8d35272afc0031cc697b100da35e3bb.png

image.png.2c5d7a052df70b45899317afd4e0e510.png

image.png.fbc4a146e030717e0b1f06fb0f75fd72.png

image.png.1759d32beef815e31530cd445cdd67d4.png

All are Briggs engines.  

• Like 1

Hello, after looking at it closer the engine has a build date of  92112711 built in nov of 1992

So this must be an early  unit it has a Hydro Gear Transmission  and an electric lift for the deck .

When I put a battery in it it just clicked  .  someone has definitely work on this before  and case a=of POD     ( Previous  Owners  Disease)

there are loose wires that I will have to track down

Thanks Ken in Mi

Edited by maxwood

The Landlord first appeared in the Engine Manual for 1993:

image.png.bd31fe5dc81eb01a01a35d2ed9d20694.png

image.png.6a86575b002acc876d40d8c9cffd16a3.png

Edited by PhanDad
Removed redundant table
  • Like 1

hello, thanks for the info .

I am going to say this tractor is a 1692006 based on the charts above and the 18 hp engine 

the ID sticker is long gone .

Thanks for all the info now to get it running 

Thanks Ken in Mi

• Like 1

Hello, I was cleaning the tractor and discovered the ID Tag this tractor is a 169 2572 originally had a 16 HP engine 

this makes it  a 1995 or 1996 year model 

amazing what is hidden under all the greasy  buildup

Thanks Ken in Mi

20220428_100444.jpg

20220428_100450.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, maxwood said:

Hello, I was cleaning the tractor and discovered the ID Tag this tractor is a 169 2572 originally had a 16 HP engine 

this makes it  a 1995 or 1996 year model 

amazing what is hidden under all the greasy  buildup

Thanks Ken in Mi

20220428_100444.jpg

20220428_100450.jpg

I figured it was from that time frame as the silver wheels and that style of seat didn’t come into use until ‘95-6. So the 1992 engine may have been swapped from a different machine. 

22 minutes ago, Chris727 said:

D Tag this tractor is a 169 2572

Searched the engine manual, that MFG# is nowhere to be found.

But the tractor appears to exist!

Maybe that's a package number rather than a tractor MFG#

Hello, I have been cleaning this tractor  It has a haze of dirt in places that should not have been dirty . I am thinking this tractor was in a flood . 

I have gone through most of the electrical connections and cleaned all the contacts.

Now when I hook the battery up the lights on the dash  light up and the engine spins over . 

The oil has no sign of water in it .

Next I will check the fuel lines and gas tank for dirt 

If you look at my earlier photos you can see the haze of dirt.

Thanks Ken in Mi

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hello When trying to start this engine, the starter would turn the engine a quarter of a turn at a time .

it turned out to be a broken rocker arm and valve pushrod  was mushroomed on one end

the rocker arm broke and this must have caused the pushrod get out of position

I have finally collected all the parts except for the rocker arm.

This rocker arm must be an early version and is no longer available,  it does not look like it the photos of the replacement part.

Thanks Ken in Mi

IMG_4167.JPG

IMG_4166.JPG

full.png

Edited by maxwood

Hello, I got the engine running after finding parts. 

when i got the tractor the idiot light housing was loose and missing the lens.

I found a thin piece of plexiglass and cut it to size , I then painted the backside of the lens red 

I glued it back in place  . the photo show a light shining through it .

Thank Ken in Mi

IMG_4171.JPG

IMG_4170.JPG

IMG_4172.JPG

IMG_4173.JPG

IMG_4174.JPG

Edited by maxwood
  • Like 6

Hello , Today  I wanted to change the  drive belt , I knew I had to remove the electric clutch  , I found I Had to remove an idler pulley 

I also had to remove the steering  link . No wonder this belt hasn't been changed in 25 years !!

The parts diagram showed the belt is either 77 inches or 86 inches depending on which trans is in it .

I cut the old belt to remove it and measured it and it is 84 inches long

Thanks Ken in Mi

7 hours ago, Chris727 said:

Should have taken it in for the “Lifetime Warranty” Lol.

The new B&S engines come with a "Lifetime Oil Change Warranty." They are filled with synthetic oil from the factory and no oil drain plug. I didn't realize synthetic oils were SO good you never have to change them. When the oil gets low, just add some more. When the engine blows, set it to the curb and replace it with a long extension cord and electric one. Quote, "You will never have to go to the gas pump and insert your credit card ever again. We are transforming America" LMAO.

Edited by Bill725
  • Like 1

Hello, Made me laugh LOL

Years ago I read , that in the New York city cabs  they never changed the oil ,but changed the oil filters regularly!!

Thanks Ken in Mi

When I was a kid on the farm in upper Michigan, we had a neighbor who ran Minneapolis-Moline tractors.  He had two, and never changed oil, only filters and added when low.  Oh, by the way, there were three more of them behind the barn with rods sticking out of the block. :) 

Steve

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, steve-wis said:

When I was a kid on the farm in upper Michigan, we had a neighbor who ran Minneapolis-Moline tractors.  He had two, and never changed oil, only filters and added when low.  Oh, by the way, there were three more of them behind the barn with rods sticking out of the block. :) 

Steve

9 hours ago, maxwood said:

Hello, Made me laugh LOL

Years ago I read , that in the New York city cabs  they never changed the oil ,but changed the oil filters regularly!!

Thanks Ken in Mi

An ex-brother in law did that on a Ford 4000 and I've heard of guys that trade vehicles every 2-3 years doing that too. I haven't the guts.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I painted the hood and seat pan And got it running better . here are some photos

Thanks Ken in Mi

IMG_4175.JPG

IMG_4177.JPG

IMG_4178.JPG

IMG_4180.JPG

• Like 5

Hello, When I bought this tractor it came with a snow blower and a hitch.

Is  the snow blower hitch  compatible with the Conquest or Prestige tractors ?

I now have 3-42 inch snow blowers.

Thanks Ken in Mi

blower hitch2.JPG

blower hitch3.JPG

blower hitch1.JPG

Edited by maxwood