Jump to content

Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New B&S arbor for mower deck installation issue - binding


BakingDude

Recommended Posts

BakingDude

I bought a new 1685004sm center arbor for my 1690022 deck, and I can't get it into the bearings without whaling on it far harder than I expected.  I don't recall this issue when replacing arbors in the past.

I was concerned when I unboxed it, in that it appears to have a heavy black coating all over it - powder coating, or paint, and I thought I might have trouble getting the keys into it.  It did not occur to me that I would not be able to get it into the bearings.  edit  - I called B&S and they said the paint should be there.  My closest local dealer now that my old dealer closed was of no help at all.

The technique I used was to use a large socket with 3/4" drive hole for shaft to go through against the top bearing, turned the deck upside down on it, and expected to drive the arbor inwards.  It was unpleasant from the start, going through the first bearing.  I have about 1" to go (sticking out the top bearing by over an inch) and it does not seem to want to move further.  The old shaft was not hard to remove, and has no paint on it at all.  I am using what dad called the boilermaker hammer.  It is probably 5 lb or so.  I used wood and brass variously to buffer the blows a bit.

I am not supposed to put the top bearing in *after* the shaft is installed through the bottom bearing, am I?

Simplicity has always been simple for me.  This procedure I thought would be straightforward.  Any suggestions on what went wrong?  That paint seems odd, at least compared with the arbors I have removed in the past.  I have three here and none has paint above the bottom flange.  Thank you in advance.  

Don

 

Edited by BakingDude
Link to comment
Share on other sites

BakingDude

Thank you Bill.  Feeling frustrated and kicking myself for waiting this long for winter maintenance to be done.   I just watched Zippo's 3 part video on arbor and bearing service from 2017, and as I was watching it the thought occurred to me that possibly when I drove out the old arbor, I scratched the inner surface of the races of the bearings and that is causing the binding.  But I think the main issue is the paint.  I have to find a way to remove it - I guess a trip to the hardware store for paint remover is in order.   Thanks again.  Both the 800# at Simplicity and the unhelpful person at the "local" dealer (20 mi away) told me the paint should be on there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

BakingDude

OK, the new part measures 0.005" over 3/4", and the old arbors in a non-wear area are 0.002" under 3/4".   B&S customer service was zero help with this information, to see if a spec could be located.  So, I am left with the Ebay seller.  It is definitely an authentic part, I believe - they even included a replacement key in a paper envelope.

arbor.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If your deck uses the Fafnir P204RR6 or equivalent, the inner race tolerance is 0.7505-0.7500' diameter. With a G6 bearing loose fit the shaft diameter is to be 0.7497-0.7492".

What are you using to measure? A caliper or a micrometer?

Edited by Bill725
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

BakingDude

Wow Bill you have the goods, and the smarts.  I used a caliper.  I am going to guess a micrometer would be better.  I don't know if I have one.  I will check.  The bearing is Z9504RST or Simplicity 2108202SM.  I gather from your response the bearing spec will specify the shaft tolerance, which makes sense.  Thank you again.  Edit 1 - the Z9504RST is stated to have an inner diameter of 0.7504".  I did not see a tolerance.  Edit 2 - I do have a micrometer, it reads to 1/1000th of a mm, in the same place the shaft measures 19.105 mm which is 0.7522".  The caliper reads to 1/1000th of an inch.

Don

Edited by BakingDude
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's been awhile since I've been inside one of the "old" style arbors, but I can assure you there wasn't any paint on the shaft.  So as @Bill725 get the paint off the shaft and hopefully that will go a long way to solving your problem.  (Briggs parts just don't seem to be the same as original Simplicity parts IMO).

In case you don't have them, here's the rebuild instructions for those style arbors:

pgC6.thumb.jpg.7f9981f8430827431877213df327b8a0.jpg

pgC7.thumb.jpg.63212f3b8cd71a7c0530811596e37601.jpg

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, PhanDad said:

 

It's been awhile since I've been inside one of the "old" style arbors, but I can assure you there wasn't any paint on the shaft.  So as @Bill725 get the paint off the shaft and hopefully that will go a long way to solving your problem.  (Briggs parts just don't seem to be the same as original Simplicity parts IMO).

 

That's a fact!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have rebuilt several BGBs and have the same issue with new cross shafts and the ball bearings, which are now made in China, where I have to polish the shaft with emery cloth to remove material to fit the bearing.

Edited by Bill725
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...