Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Beveled gear box question

Bigstone

I recently purchased a 7116 Simplicity tractor  the owner wanted to get rid of.  The issue with the tractor is the BGB.  He priced out the parts to rebuild it for $300 and he didn't want to deal with it.   I have the engine running now and have a BGB off of a 916 Allis rear end  I bought a few years ago.

My question is on the 916 BGB  there is about 1/8 -3/16th" play on the gears when I turn the shaft by hand.  I'm assuming there shouldn't be any play.  Does this BGB need to be shimmed or rebuild?  Or is that normal?

Regards

Bigstone 

If  your 1/8 to 3/16 inch is on the outside diameter of the pulley, that isn't too bad.  If it is on the shaft itself, my opinion would be to rebuild it.  Others will jump in with more detailed opinions, I am sure.  I have been fortunate in that when I have had one go bad I have found a replacement out of a parts tractor that was usable so I have not torn into one myself.  If you are patient you can find a replacement used one, either on ebay or on a donor parts tractor, for less than the cost of parts to rebuild.  Of course if you do buy the parts and rebuild, you have essentially a new box, which should last for a long long time.

Steve

• Like 1

There are shims that go in the RH cross shaft seal bore between the seal and side plate which sets the backlash between the gears. Push the RH seal up against the ball bearing and the ball bearing up against the gear and if there is still play then there most likely is a key and or keyway issue.

• Like 1

1/8 - 3/16" of rotation does not seem like a lot to me.  Almost every tractor I have checked or had has some of that, and some at a much greater amount.  That being said if it is out and eaily accessed, it wouldn't hurt to take a good look at it and shim it or check the keys.  Not hard to do now, but a PITA later.

• Like 1

oldsarge,

It's rotational and it's the shaft that is on that points to the front of the tractor. (Not sure what the friends @ Simpletractors calls it.)?

Thanks for all the replies. 

Since the rear end is put of the tractor due to a broken rear axle and have easy access to it.  I think I'm going to open up the BGB. If you think I'm nutz holler at me.  It won't happed this week...  

On 5/10/2022 at 12:37 PM, Bigstone said:

there is about 1/8 -3/16th" play on the gears when I turn the shaft by hand.

8 hours ago, Bigstone said:

It's rotational and it's the shaft that is on that points to the front of the tractor.

Since your 1/8" to 3/16th measurement is on the shaft, that seems excessive to me.  If that were on the circumference of the cone plate plate, that would be OK.  Here's a video of too much play:

Here's what I found inside:

IMG_9450.thumb.JPG.b6a5410d2a8f85b69e5805072a2202bb.JPGIMG_9447.thumb.JPG.54670d28a2ad533cdfc5088a4cf30b85.JPGIMG_9451.thumb.JPG.1a2d1ae5803ea5695cc83fabb37e4e89.JPG

I'd definitely open the box and check; hopefully you'll just have key damage.

And we'd call the shaft that points forward the input shaft (as opposed to the cross shaft).  

• Like 1