Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Two-section Cultivator Set-up

tamurmueen

Hi, Folks,

A kind friend has located a Mid-mount Cultivator section to match my Rear-mount Cultivator section, now giving me a complete Cultivator set-up, which he has kindly set-up with two cultivating shanks (as shown in the thumbnail above), in addition to the two hiller blades!

I have never had the opportunity to use this device, obviously, and would be keen to learn from anyone here how and when to use the various sections (mid- vs rear- vs both), and when to attach the shanks vs the hiller blade(s) on the mid-section.

Thanks for your help!

Best, Tamur

Mid-section Cultivator Hiller.jpg

Two-section Cultivator.jpg

• Like 2

To an extent it would depend on the type of crop being cultivated and the width of row. The couple of times I used the mid and rear cultivator was on corn. b12cultivator.jpg.cb1cba88606d1a0e1bcdd502d14f708f.jpg

• Like 2

I grow (6) 60' rows of sweet corn and I use a Brinly cultivator, which is 36" wide. between the rows for weed control. I plant the corn on 48" rows so I can continue to cultivate as the corn grows.

• Like 2

Thank you!

Any thoughts of when to use both front and rear, vs rear only?

Any advice on the use of the "hiller" attachments on the front/mid-section attachment?

Best, Tamur