Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Electronic Ignition

Roy

Was tilling the garden with the B-1 I put an electronic ignition module on. After about 30 minutes it died just like I had turned the switch off. Contacted Rotary Corp. who made the module. They said to return it the dealer I purchased it from, have him call them, and they will send him their new model. Will let you know how this turns out. BTW, the engine was running great until it died.

Roy

Roy, Could it be any thing else? I just rebuilt a 16 horse engine and I failed to Tighten the fly wheel one tight enough. My wife was using it and when she reved up the engine the fly wheel key partially sheared and lost spark. Did you have the flywheel off to repolarize it when you converted to electronic ignition? Just a thought, Scott

Tired, Could be anything. I haven't looked yet. I e-mailed Rotray Corp. asking them questions about troubleshooting, maximum temperature rating of the module, and how to check the module. They called me and said they had no information. Some university professor in Georgia designed the module for them years ago and they do not have any information on it. Hence, they offered to replace the module with their new Nova II unit. I accepted their offer. The B & S Model 19 in my B-1 is so old it doesn't thave a flywheel key, only a taper on the crankshaft to hold the flywheel in place. If the flywheel is loose it will not turn over (flywheel slips on the crankshaft). If the engine does not run after I install the new module I will have to troubleshoot and find the problem. Roy

Roy

You kinda answered my question I was going to ask you about the noa electronic ignition, my loca dealer only has the nova 2, Let me know if the replacement unit works for you it seems like a good idea, if it prevents instead of causes headaches.

Roy, Maybe the B-1 "rejected" the Nova. Afraid the next thing you'll want to do is add running boards.

It's not an "original" B-1 with electronic ignition either. Does the FDC make up the rules on the "fly"? It must be fun playing poker with you guys...............

Dutch, Will still be a B-1, albeit, with modern ignition. It would be sacrilegious to add running boards. Smile,

Roy