Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3416 H "Stalling"

Horvik

Hello;

Was cutting with the 3416 H (Briggs 326431) and after about an hour it started to stall, then I reduced throttle and it recovered. I repeated this a few times and thought to park it to figure it out. It does start and run well aside from this problem which I just discovered. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

My first guess is either a fuel filter becoming plugged, or the vent in the gas cap not venting properly.

Steve

• Like 1

I had similar issues with my 7016H, same Briggs 16hp. #326431. It turned out to be a bit of dirt or oil on the points. ( I long since installed an electronic module to replace the points and haven't had any problem since). Another time, it acted up when I throttled up, and all it needed was a small tweak to adjust the carburetor needle on the bottom of the float bowl. Just another thought, it could be a bit of moisture in the fuel, possibly Winter condensation from cold to warm weather. Just a few things you might want to consider.

Hope this helps,  Rob K.

• Like 2

My 4041 has done that and I found out if I wiggle the key it's in the ignition and I ordered a new ignition and it just came today so I haven't had time to install

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steve-wis said:

My first guess is either a fuel filter becoming plugged, or the vent in the gas cap not venting properly.

Steve

Hi;

Is there  way to check the vent in the gas cap?

Thanks

When it starts to die, just open the gas cap a little and see if it clears up.  If it does, I would get a new cap, the ones with the gauge are available on ebay or thru simplicity.

Steve

• Like 1