Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

new led headlights

steve-wis

Hi,

Ordered these from Amazon, about $25 for the pair.  Haven't had them out in the dark yet but look good in the daylight!

Steve

thumbnail_IMG_1649.jpg

Edited by steve-wis
  • Like 4

led's are the way to go. Have had them for a couple years. Also have one for the rear, great for backing up

DHoadley, these are the ones I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08TVQHVK1/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5?pd_rd_i=B08TVQHVK1&pd_rd_w=x2WIQ&pf_rd_p=57cbdc41-b731-4e3d-aca7-49078b13a07b&pd_rd_wg=hUtp5&pf_rd_r=F6GRZDFPC4M1691T6R90&pd_rd_r=0669dc7b-af03-49c3-a8dd-e33f6495c29c&s=automotive&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzVzExNUJPVUo5ME1NJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDYwNjMyUFAzRTNRWTNLRldTJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA3MjIxNTcxQjEwTEJXN1g5V0FZJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsX3RoZW1hdGljJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

here is some info from the description:

• 【Wide application】- For use with any low voltage AC/DC 12 volt power source, the PAR36 LED bulbs are not limited to cars, boats, marinas, trucks, motor homes, RV, off grid solar systems, other renewable energy systems, and also suitable for off-road vehicles, landscape light, swimming pool deck light, flood light, tractor light, truck light, snowblower light, fog light, up light, well light and so on.
Edited by steve-wis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have heard of early failures from others also, I believe being under the hood so close to the muffler may be a death sentence.  I have had them on a 920 Diesel for quite a few years, muffler outside of hood probably saving them.  Mine came from Larsen Lights (MN).

I wonder if there would be a way of insulating the headlights. Someone elsewhere had pondered putting a small fan on the front shaft if there was no front PTO. Maybe that would help. Musings...

I know that led lights don't like heat.  The fan idea would work for me, no front pto.  It would also be possible to make another heat shield behind the headlights, but I don't know if that would really make it any cooler.  I would need to find a fan that would work, I don't have anything in my pile that I know of.  I don't use the tractor alot, so maybe I will wait and see how it goes.

Steve

I have the KT19, not a command in this tractor.  Maybe not so much of a problem with this engine?

On 5/19/2022 at 12:32 PM, DTS said:

I tried LEDs in my 7018, but they burned out in about an hour.  Not sure what I did wrong.

Check the voltage going to the lights with the tractor running. Leds are much less forgiving on voltage variance. Sounds like you may be too high running

• Like 1

That makes sense.  I had just upgraded to a larger more powerful battery to help starting in the winter.   If that was the problem. How do I correct for that?

Greg is correct, they are 12 - 36 volt.  Also, on my 919 they do not run directly from the battery, key must be on for lights.  I would think even with a bigger battery, the voltage would not be an issue.  On the 7018 I would suspect heat is the problem.

Steve

• Like 1