Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Deck Experts Help on cut issue

GregB

Take a look at the pictures, what should I start looking at first.  Scalp and high spots from the same pass.

IMG_3453[1].JPG

IMG_3454[1].JPG

Hello, I recently had a similar occurrence  But I put one blade on upside down. 

Thanks Ken in Mi

• Like 1

I'm confused by the pattern.  The repeating pattern suggests you're using something with a 2 blade deck since the pattern appears to be alternating high/low.  Although I guess the amount of overlap you cut with could cause the pattern. 

When I've missed pinned the front of the deck (one pin was above the deck mounting arm rather than through the hole), the missed pinned side would cut low.

And when I mowed with the old B-110 it would make an odd cutting pattern if I installed the hanging PTO to deck belt with the wrong twist and the blades ran backwards.  

If you're running a deck with the splined arbor shafts, maybe you mounted the spline washer on top of the blade rather than the bottom (I think only the belleville washer on the bottom would hold the blade on).     Or less likely, there's something in the splines keeping the blade/adapter from moving all the way up to the proper position.  

Deck has not been apart.  Three blade deck on large frame sovereign chassis.

Guess I will start with alignment issues and making sure all blades are spinning at the same time.

16 minutes ago, GregB said:

Deck has not been apart.

I have also experienced a frozen idler lever pivot that along with belt age/stretch allowed the outer blades to not spin up to speed and result in a high rough uneven cut.  Since the center blade is driven directly by the PTO, it was the only blade spinning at speed.  

I had a deck crack at the arbor and one blade was angled. Left an odd pattern like that. Good luck, Dave

12 hours ago, GregB said:

Three blade deck on large frame sovereign chassis.

Looks to me like the center blade is being driven by PTO belt and the two outside blades are not spinning to cut. Broken deck belt?

Bill wins the cigar. :J

Pulled the deck off the tractor, and once the covers were off the deck it was easy to see that little tension was on the arbor belt.

The idler bracket was not free, and moving, it was stuck.

Luckily the bolt that lifts the deck and acts as the idler pivot broke lose, and did not break.

After fixing that, and removing a large bucket of wet and dried grass I am back in business.

Now to move on to what I was supposed to be working on this afternoon.

• Like 4