Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

717 mower deck

dynodave

The internal deck belt tensioner spring broke.  I cobbled in a temporary spring to get some cutting done. I find the blades stall in heavy grass for lack of belt traction. I'm not sure if it is the mule drive failing to run the whole deck or  the main arbor failing to drive the 2 side arbors.

I looked up the replacement and the 1.18" diameter spring is not what I pulled out.  I have a second deck for my 727 but it is also lacking a spring. Any knowledgeable advice appreciated to obtain the right part for my 2 decks..

thanks

Edited by dynodave
model correction

It been a while since was inside my belt covers. but I do remember that the idler pulley spring was a fairly substantial spring. I would use the part as shown in the parts diagram! 

• Like 1

Thanks guys

I'll assume that my Dad put in a substitute spring in at some point after 1979 while he had the 717 in Nova Scotia. He still did a good job keeping it going until 2009 (RIP).  I brought it back to the US and bought a new deck shell in 2010 from Tenny/SEPW in West Bend Wi.

Takes a lickin and keeps on tickin  dOd

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys back to the original question:

" I'm not sure if it is the mule drive failing to run the whole deck or  the main arbor failing to drive the 2 side arbors. "

To stop the suspense, I have the results. I did buy 2 correct part# springs and it went on easy enough to my 717 deck. I tried it and ...........

The blade speed would continue to stall when a heavy cut was tried. The real fault was the mule drive belt tension was not high enough. I moved the spring collar on the PTO clutch rod and all 3 blades are chopping away like intended.       dOd

• Like 1

The give away to which belt is slipping would be that if it were the deck belt, the center blade would still be cutting while the 2 outer ones would not.

Learned that one well on a 707 I used to have when I was a kid. The deck belt tension pulley on it was NOT spring loaded . It was bolted into  a slot , and you pried the pulley over for tension on the deck belt and tightened the bolt up. The newer decks with spring loaded tensioners were quite an improvement.

• Like 3

SS

Will keep that in mind when activating the 67 Yeoman 616 as it has the bolted tensioner on that mower deck.

• Like 1