Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Legacy not starting

MRR

This should be easy for you experienced members. I have a Legacy with 25hp Kohler. Picked it up last fall and it has run fine. Ran it a bit this winter and started easily. Mowed once or twice with it and now it won’t start. It will crank but not turn over. I’ve checked the simple things- parking break on, PTO off, cruise off, seat switch operational.  Gas tank is full (I didn’t drain over the winter but gas did have additive). There is fuel in the fuel filter and I disconnected the line between the fuel filter and fuel pump and fuel flows freely. Air filter is clean and if I spray some carb cleaner in the carb it fires up and quickly dies. I’m thinking carb or fuel pump but before I dig into either would appreciate your thoughts. Also Legacy gurus- how easy (or difficult) is it to take off the carb to clean??  And lastly, any thoughts on adding a fuel shutoff??  And if you do, are the cheap ones adequate or just trouble?? I know that’s a lot…thanks in advance for the help!!

No need for a shutoff. Tank below carb. Taking carb off isn't all that big of a deal. Have you isolated whether it's a spark or fuel issue? Will it fire if you dribble a little fuel in the carb or give it a sniff of starting fluid? If yes, fuel pump. No? Probably ignition. 

Wait.....

Duh... Didn't read whole post closely. Fuel pump probably. Pull line between pump and carb. Any fuel when you crank? No? Pump!

Edited by RAC
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, RAC said:Pull line between pump and carb. Any fuel when you crank? No? Pump!

Haven’t gotten to that step yet…fuel line was tight on the carb and only had a limited window. I will try that before taking off the carb. I’ve rebuilt the carb and replaced the fuel pump on my Sunstar but not with the Legacy…yet… thanks for the input!!

10 hours ago, MRR said:

It will crank but not turn over.

I had an issue on my XL when the key was turned the starter would not turn the engine over. This is caused by a weak safety circuit signal to the starter solenoid. This is due to slight terminal corrosion due to age. Simplicity's fix is to install Starter Relay Kit P/N 1686945. After installing the kit, I have never had the issue again. I also installed kit on my Kohler Command powered Sovereigns. The relay kit comes as a "plug and play" is a little expensive or you can make your own using a Panasonic CB1AM12V relay or equivalent.

• Like 3

I've had the fuel issue anytime a aline is disconnected or run out of fuel, had to pressurize the tank and push fuel up to carb as fuel pump doesn't seem to want to pull it up. Just my $.02

Edited by 720nut
  • Like 1

No genius  but pull the fuel selilnoid off carb and test to see if opens and closes on a 12v battery sounds like its closed.

Edited by abu507
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Had a chance to work on the Legacy tonight. I replaced the fuel pump with a  vacuum fuel pump and it started right up. It was a simple conversion and an easy fix. Thanks for all of the input!

• Like 2