Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

This weeks auction find.

B10Dave

Got a super deal on an unused 6 ton air over hydraulic bench top press at an auction last week. Lists in the Princess Auto catalog for $239. I got it at auction for $75. I have the plates and pins, just not in the picture.

629810995eed6_deck004.thumb.jpg.14886a24aaaf9067c827cd44238341c7.jpg

Edited by B10Dave
  • Like 8

Great price!

I think I am an idiot, but how does the air over hydraulic work in this tool? It looks like an ordinary bottle jack that would use a hand pump. Obviously the hand pump is simply disabled, but how does the air drive the hydraulic system and how is it controlled? Thanks.

Our Forestry Dept had a 1952 Deuce and a half water truck with air over hydraulic brakes. Basically an air compressor assist to the master cylinder. It was very funky and did not inspire confidence. It always felt like the system needed bleeding - very springy foot pedal. Nothing like air brakes. No doubt it was designed by Army engineers just before the Vietnam era. (otherwise a very capable and easy-driving truck)

3 minutes ago, AC710 said:

I think I am an idiot, but how does the air over hydraulic work in this tool? It looks like an ordinary bottle jack that would use a hand pump.

No one's an idiot for asking any question.  Sometimes we can't see the forest because too many trees are in the way.

Anyway, I'd like to know the answer as well.  But I have a theory - 

I think it works "opposite" of the standard bottle jack.  

In a standard jack, the "pump" part is small in diameter so that you can exert a fairly large force over a small area and fluid transfers this force to the larger lifting cylinder raising it a small amount relative to the amount of the pump stroke.  The amount raised is proportional to the areas of the pump and lifting cylinder.

The above setup appears to be reversed; the "pump" has a much greater area than the press cylinder and the effective force created by the air pressure is  multiplied at the press cylinder.  

The same principle applies to those young ladies that walk in 1/4" x 1/4" high heel shoes exert the same psi as an elephant.  

• Like 2

I answered my own question... Here is an animation of an air/hydraulic press. It simply uses compressed air to move hydraulic fluid back and forth using an air pump instead of a fluid pump.

https://www.airhydraulics.com/products/presses/c-series/air-over-oil-press-animation/#:~:text=Operation%3A,limited part of the stroke.

I also looked at one model that has a manual lever option. They said it is useful for "fine tuning" a press operation.

Edited by AC710
  • Like 2

Hey Guys; I have not used it yet or hooked it to my air hose. Not sure of the mechanics/hydraulics relationship. 

On 6/4/2022 at 10:01 AM, PhanDad said:

The same principle applies to those young ladies that walk in 1/4" x 1/4" high heel shoes exert the same psi as an elephant.

Boy, Bill, you're a better man than I if you would state that out loud anywhere near the vicinity of those of the female persuasion.

Edited by Brettw
  • Haha 1

I saw that very affect that Bill mention. I had a sales women stop by in high heels. She walked all over my wood floors. Once she left I had hundreds of heal prints on my wood floor. I was not happy. I had to soak each one to get the wood fibers to swell to remove all the heel prints!

Before anyone asks I did not purchase anything from her and instead complained to the company about the damage she had done.

Rick….

A bit different, but when my 11 1/2 lb. cat launches off the top of the dresser onto my chest as I am sleeping, those little paws feel like spikes being driven into me.  He seems to enjoy it tho!

Steve

• Haha 2

• Who's Online (See full list)

• BLT
    • Austinp6896Z
    • rolo
    • s_stephen
    • dhoadley
    • Patrick Kelly
    • wsherm
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

I am having ankle replacement surgery Monday 4/8 and will be away from ST business for a few days till the drugs clear out. Keep reviewing ST and let us know challenges and suggested revisions. gw
      · 2 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
  • Adverts