Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mower Deck Rebuild

Scotmo

Does anyone have any experiance rebuilding their 42in Simplicity decks. I am getting a noise that sounds between a grind and a bearing squeel when the blades are engaged .Right now it comes and go's. The cut is fine but the sound is annoying when it's there. Thanks for taking the time to read this . Mechanical things must not upset me.(repeat 100 times a day)

Take deck off tractor. Remove belt that drives blades. Turn (spin) blades by hand. Which one feels (sounds) different?

Just ordered parts for mine, got all the part numbers for the different brands of bearings if you need, let me know. Best prices I found at my local CarQuest parts dealer or online at www.agri-supply.com.

I just redid my 48" deck and redid all three spindles at the same time. The price of bearings at the simp. dealer was like $6.25 ea. and Graingers was $8.15 ea. I also pulled the belt tensioner off and replaced bushings and new belt plus with all other parts and bolts still only ran about $150. The hardest part is the spindles are siliconed together and you need to cut them apart to break the seal. I don't want to redo anything on it again this summer so I replaced anything that even looked like a potential problem.

I ALSO JUST COMPLETED A GROUND UP REBUILD OF A 42" DECK FOR MY SOVEREIGN, MY THE DECK I HAD WAS SOO BADLY RUSTED DUE TO YEARS OF BEING LEFT OUTSIDE AND LACK OF CLEANING THAT I OPTED TO "CHEAT" AND REPLACE ALL 3 SPINDLES WITH NEW ONES. AT $43.00 A PIECE IT WAS A PRICY WAY TO GO BUT REASSEMBLY WAS OH SOO EASY. ANOTHER THING THAT WAS INVALUABLE IN MY CASE WAS AN ARBOR PRESS THAT I USED TO COAX OUT ALL THE STUBBORN PARTS

Thanks for all the help guys. I will be attempting this rebuild in the next couple of weeks.A little information goes a long way.......Thanks again Scot Mechanical things must not upset me.(repeat 100 times a day)