Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3416 H Crankshaft Freewheeling

Horvik

Hello;

I was running the 16 hp Briggs , then it started to run rough and stall. Went to crank it over and spun with no compression- noticed the crank not rotating. Later on closer inspection, I looked inside with a bright light and when I turned the front snout of the mill over, then I could see the flywheel side shaft turn. Any of you fellas had this happen before?

Thank You

AllisChalmers716

That is weird, it kinda seems like you broke the crankshaft in HALF! how this would happen I don't know but it sounds like what happened.

-Tommy

Hello;

I haven't had the opportunity to pull the engine to determine what is what . I spelled  out before what had happened. I looked inside at the coupler from the engine, flywheel side, and it appeared the crankshaft was turning, but not with the flywheel as it is supposed to.

On 6/8/2022 at 9:16 PM, Horvik said:

Hello;

I haven't had the opportunity to pull the engine to determine what is what . I spelled  out before what had happened. I looked inside at the coupler from the engine, flywheel side, and it appeared the crankshaft was turning, but not with the flywheel as it is supposed to.

The tractor you are speaking of is driven from the flywheel. The flywheel connects to the crankshaft On a taper with a alignment key and a nut. If the nut backs off the flywheel can and will loosen on the crankshaft. So you can hit the starter switch and see the flywheel turn while the crankshaft does not move, or not much. Note that the key is for timing, Not for holding the flywheel to the crank. A new key and solid torque (Not sure on specs) on the crankshaft nut should put you back to running.

• Like 1

Fellas;

I got around to pulling the motor out and was lucky...the nut was loose with a sheared shear key. Pt in a new belleville washer and nut torqued tight and engine runs sweet again. Now I have to see what the noise is in the BGB that was recently rebuilt, new posting I submitted today.

Thank You for the help

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Horvik said:

Pt in a new belleville washer and nut torqued tight

Belleville washer? I have never seen a belleville washer for the flywheel nut. There is a flywheel nut lock plate, P/N 22906, which uses the fan screen & booster fan/starter pulley screws to keep from rotating.

Edited by Bill725