Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Bardo5

My 1999 Simplicity Regent 38" mower deck idler belt pulley won't spin after the belt guide is tightened. I never adjusted the belt guide before as it always looked good. After adjusting/tightening the guide and reassembling the deck she was a belt smoker. Do I need a new pulley? Thanks, great website.

Welcome to the club.

I'm not personally familiar with a 38" Regent deck, but do have a parts manual for a Regent from helping my neighbor with his tractor (not deck).  For the MFG #169129 38" deck parts manual:   

image.thumb.png.b87162fa347e82c04db183882dabe2ef.png

image.png.0e3a35c85bd1c3e3242094edc42c38c5.png

I don't see a "belt guide" in the IPL; maybe your deck is different.  A pic would help identify the problem.  

The setup appears similar to the Simplicity large frame decks and use spacers (parts #5 and 11).  If they aren't assembled correctly or lubed, they can cause binding - especially the lever spacer (#11).   The pulley usually has an inner bearing and it should spin freely - if it doesn't, the pulley needs to be replaced.  

And as @Bill725 reminds us, if the pulley is metal and held together with rivets, the bearing can be replaced.  

Edited by PhanDad
Replaced IPL so MFG# shows & added parts list
  • Like 1

Thanks PhanDad, great graphic. The Regent manual, pg 29 shows the IP belt guide labeled B (attch). I took it all apart and found no lever spacer (#11), instead there were several washers, a lock washer and 2 nuts. The pulley had a bearing cover (mangled) and bearings that are shot. Thanks also to Bill725, but I will search for a new pulley as I am not a welder.

simp_reg_IP.jpg

Sounds like it worked until you adjusted that belt guide.  If that is true, I would take apart that idler pulley from its mount and double check your assembly.  Sounds like you might have something out of order and maybe you are clamping the outer part of the bearing down instead of just the inside race.  If you can hold that inner race and spin the pulley when it is not bolted down, the bearing is ok.

Steve

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bardo5 said:

I took it all apart and found no lever spacer (#11), instead there were several washers, a lock washer and 2 nuts.

Interesting.  I went back and looked at the Regent parts manual I have.  I found a second IPL for many of the same items but called "Clutch Group":  

image.thumb.png.cf7251d0c2f9a135e93202b416932ad3.png

image.png.4dfbd9766a14470a32cc189b928a38f0.png

The above might be a match.  I now noticed the MFG# numbers at the bottom of the page have suffixes; the first posted IPL doesn't.  

The pulleys are different; I've reloaded the earlier IPL with the MFG# showing along with the parts list.  

4 hours ago, Bardo5 said:

but I will search for a new pulley as I am not a welder.

You don't need to be a welder.  Drill out the rivets and after replacing the bearing, use pop-rivets to hold it back together.  If you don't have a pop-rivet tool, you can use small bolts and nuts to hold it together (lock washer or lock nut used)  

PS - You can download parts manual for your tractor using the MFG# at the Simplicity site.  See the fourth sticky post down at the top of this forum for the link.  

Edited by PhanDad
Added PS
  • Like 2