Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

First post - second Simplicity.

SimpleTodd

BFDFAE34-6AB9-4C74-A039-060ADDE57319.thumb.jpeg.1fbd1fb031e12e431acb8a35b19f3c66.jpeg

Here's my first Simplicity since the 70's -though that one was a significantly smaller unit.

I scored this one off of C-list and after a couple of back & forths to look at it and an aborted attempt to get it started... it's now mine and has already done significant work.

It's. '73 and has a touch over 400 hours.

Now, a couple of questions:

It has a really bubba'd replacement for the right-side tin that covers the right-side head. I mean REALLY bubba'd as in it looks to be a piece of sheet cut from a single-wide.

Anyone know where to score one of these? I'v searched the first 3 pages of parts returns in the internets of things but no-joy.

Secondly - It currently runs the bucket and the hoe off of the single front hydro-pump. I see a couple of very interesting videos where there is a pump that remains with the hoe when disconnected and runs off of the rear PTO. Cessna I think. Any line on where to find the right rascal for this outfit?

Now, I'm off to prowl around the rest of the forum.

Regards, Todd.

Edited by SimpleTodd
Added photo
  • Like 5

So without pictures, based on your description you have a Powermax 4040, 4041 or 9020. 

The Backhoe is either 8' or 6'.  If 6', the model is a 603A (early) or MD-6 (later).  Both manuals are around the net & may even be here.  You won't be able to access them without becoming a dues paying member which I can assure you will be the best $10 per year you'd spend. 

The backhoe was offered in both configurations of hydraulic power.  I have one & had another.  Once considered the holy grail of attachments but now seem to be more attainable.  I have had tanks made & with the help of members here with dimensions & pictures.  If you truly want to go down this road, P.M. me your contact information & I will share the information I have with you. 

• Like 1

I had a photo posted but it seems to have disappeared.

It is in fact, a 4041. Odd that I missed noting that. I have the original Brantley manual for the backhoe. It's the 6 footer with the early outriggers.

When I figure out the forum more, I will take you up on the PM offer - thank you for that.

Regards, Todd.

Edited by SimpleTodd
Added info
  • Like 1

Welcome to the club Todd. I see you were able to attach a picture (nice outfit!). You might consider placing a WTB classified ad for Powermax tinwork at https://simpletractors.com/classifieds/category/7-wanted-parts/  

You’ll find members here have expertise with these machines/attachments and they can help with most challenges. You can PM (private message) by tapping on the 3horizontal lines in the upper right hand corner, tap the envelope, and begin. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Spark plugs.... A straight forward question on this rascal. I see that in my manual that as a spark plug - it calls for an Onan 167p241.

In the box of *stuff*, this tractor had an inordinate number of used plugs that seemed to otherwise inexplicably not work. No visible cracks and otherwise OK to the eye. I'm led to believe that the P.O. used anything that looked right but the Onan killed them.

So, the question; I can't find the Onan plug for sale so is there a quality alternative that will last in this unit?  

Edited by SimpleTodd
Correction

9 hours ago, SimpleTodd said:

Spark plugs.... A straight forward question on this rascal. I see that in my manual that as a spark plug - it calls for an Onan 167p241.

In the box of *stuff*, this tractor had an inordinate number of used plugs that seemed to otherwise inexplicably not work. No visible cracks and otherwise OK to the eye. I'm led to believe that the P.O. used anything that looked right but the Onan killed them.

So, the question; I can't find the Onan plug for sale so is there a quality alternative that will last in this unit?  

Todd, I use the Champion H 10 plugs works for me

• Like 3