Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tip for painting rims

roma3112

Ever have a hard time sanding that nasty faded paint off a set of rims, I am not one to do things the hard way if there is some kind of shortcut, so while i was shopping for some paint at home depot this morning I ran across aerosol paint remover HMMMM. Well for 4 bucks i picked it up and tryied it out it worked Great. Only a few hitches 1) the stuff is caustic so cover up 2) before you prime/paint wash the part thuroughly so the paint will adhere properly. Hope this comes in handy for sombody john

John, What I have been doing is first to get the part (whether a rim or sheet metal) completely separate from the machine. I sand, wirebrush, sand, airblow, sand (or sandblast) to get the part absolutely clean and oil free. Then I wash with either acetone or methyl ethyl ketone. I would expect that the remover you got from Home Depot is loaded with one or the other. I think I will check on this. The acetone removes any trace of oil, grease, grime, and also etches any remaining old paint for better adhesion of the primer and finish coats. I have been applying about 2 coats of primer followed by 3-4 coats of finish enamel, or at least enough to get a bright sheen on the part. The last coat has to be applied rather heavy which is tricky with the solvent loaded spray cans. But a little care will minimize any runs. DaveG

i will bet yiu are right as far as the ingredients, i will have to check out the can later on. Whatever is in it BOY it burns unprotected skin :(

One other comment.... I read your post on the cost of paint from Simplicity. I had been paying about $5 per can at Home Depot and the local hardware store for Old Caterpiller Yellow for my B-110. Then I was shopping at a local Army/Navy store and ran across the same stuff by Krylon for $2 per can. Naturally, I bought the entire stock!!! Then went back for More.. DaveG

The Paint remover you used sounds to me like oven cleaner .. I use oven cleaner on all my degreasing and pant removing jobs, But you have to make sure it is washed up good for the paint to stick.....

I've done one pair of front rims with a 3m clean and strip disc on a 90 degree die grinder. It was a little time consuming but it took the rust off as well. Painted it with ppg deltron.

Hi John, What is the name of the product from home depot that you used? Thanks, John (ri)

hi john I believe it was "strip-eze brand" they have like 2 varieties minw was a goldish orange can. Also lowes carries a similar product feom "parks" its the only aerosol remover they got. One thing i must say about this meathod is that this stuff only works on paint and skin, if the rims are rusted you still will have to get in there with a wire brush or somthing, but for hard to reach areas that are rust free this is the way to go in some cases john

Well, after I get the rims all cleaned/ sanded then it's time to prime and paint but first I then had to mask the tire off. Well, not any more, what I do is "paint" the exposed area of the tire with mud, then atart painting, wait till the paint dries and then rinse off the mud!! It works.

another trick i herd of and have not tryied for painting or not painting tires is to rub/coat them liberally with soap. I guess the soap like the mud will prevent the paint from sticking

With the tire still on the rim you can also coat the tire with Vaseline, spray the paint on the rim, wait till it dries then wipe the Vaseline off the tire with a rag then clean it a little bit with gas.

I always pop the tires off. It's impossible to prep rim edge next to the tire and get the paint on that edge. At the least break the bead on both sides and mask off the tire with paper...Woody

I've been useing oven cleaner to get the grease, dirt, and rust off my big old tractors. I haven't bought any lately but I don't think it cost $4.00 a can. I spray a nutrelizer on all the metel surfaces to be painted to make sure I've killed the oven cleaner. I use the vaseline on those rims with the huge good tires as 16.9x38's, 15.4x30's isn't what you would call light lifting. The ones with bad tires get the full treatment as most have had colride in them and have leaked inside the rim as well as the outside. Al

I'm of the same opinion as Woodydel. I removed the tire completely and ground the inside of the rim to get a good smooth seal. Reason was that the rim had rusted extensively and needed a real cleaning. Then 2 coats of primer on the inside and outside, then 3 coats of paint. Looks REAL good. DaveG