Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I'm confused

lobsta1

Have a 3012 with a 48" deck. For some time I have had a "harmonic" vibration when the pto to the deck is engaged. I've been having a problem with the belt from the pto to the hanging pulley staying on. Have a 3310 parts tractor, so took the hanging pulley assembly off that, but found that the pulleys were a different size. Found the original pulley system had the locking collar slipping. With that slipping  the idler & driving pulley edges were hitting each other. Pulled it apart & the bearings appear to be OK. 

Now to my main problem. I can't identify what deck I have. Last week the center blade snapped. Put old blade on & blades barely move. 85" deck belt is shot. Ordered new one. All three spindles move freely with no roughness. However the center spindle has a little movement. Less than a 1/16". I assume this has to be fixed. Hence the need to identify the deck & try & find out what I need. Is there an entire assembly or do I have to take it apart & then source all the parts.

I have looked under 990414, 990886 & 990669.

Please Help

Al

A couple of pics of the deck may help identify the deck.  

3012 tractors have MFG#s in the low 9904xxs, 48" decks near those numbers are 990414 from your list and 990502.  Other 48" can be found in the "what fits" tables, Pg 7 and earlier:

https://simpletractors.com/research/reference-info/what-fits/rotary-lawn-mowers/rm_pg7/

As to the belt from the BGB to lower hanging PTO shaft, when using my B-110 years ago, I found a 1" shorter belt solved the pulley "hitting" problem.  

Arbors are normally rebuilt;  I don't think complete replacements were available.  The arbor tube with bearings was an assembly you could purchase.  

Arbor repair instructions:

pgC6.thumb.jpg.83684989fb16f67d29c865fe679f481c.jpg

pgC7.thumb.jpg.57eb8fe2b420181d5e944d84222eb636.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll be gone until next Wed. when I'll try to work on it. 

Am I correct that there should be zero play in the center spindle. I can move it about a 1/32". All three spindles feel smooth with no roughness.

Thanks

Al

8 minutes ago, lobsta1 said:

Am I correct that there should be zero play in the center spindle. I can move it about a 1/32".

Axial or radial direction?  

In my experience, in the radial direction, there's usually no play.  

In the axial direction, with the newer split arbors, there is usually some axial play.  It's been too long since I've looked at a solid tube arbor to remember if there's any axial play.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm finally back. So hot & dry this summer I've only been home 5 nights since the beginning of the summer. My boat has air conditioning, my house doesn't. 

Meanwhile I finally found out the middle arbor is busted. I can't locate the another deck same as my deck. I've looked at every 48" deck in the what fits chart.The closest I've found is the fig 6 Phandad posted which is a 42" deck.

Does anyone have those part #s? The fotos I took got corrupted.

8 hours ago, lobsta1 said:

The closest I've found is the fig 6 Phandad posted which is a 42" deck.

I'm pretty sure the arbors are the same except for the diameter of the driven center arbor pulley.  

Depending on exactly what's wrong with your center arbor, the parts from the arbors from the 42" deck might be able to be used to repair it.  If it's the shaft and/or pulley, maybe not. 

Another option would be to transfer all the arbors from the 42" deck to your 48" deck; usually the driven center arbor pulley is a bit smaller on the 42" decks vs the 48" decks since the larger deck's blades are longer (to keep the blade tip speed at design).  If you're worried about the increase in blade rotation speed, cut at a slightly reduced engine rpm.  

Download the parts IPL for the decks and compare part numbers.    

• Like 1

The problem I have is I have never been able to find the part# for my deck and of all the decks I have looked at, I can't find one that has the arbor I have so I can't download an IPL for a deck# I don't have. That fig 6 that was posted says it is for a 42" deck, but it doesn't give a deck#. I've done so much searching that Jacks small engine won't let me pass the Captcha to continue searching.

Al

My Father's 7016-6 speed had a 48" deck like the one pictured with the 3-bolt flange pulley. The 48" deck is Mfg. No 1690021, the 42" is 1690252. Try those and let us know.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. Just looked up those decks again. Unfortunately they have a 6 bolt arbor instead of three stovebolts securing it.

Al

Pics help a lot.  Your deck looks similar to the 42" deck from my B-110 with the 3 bolt arbors:

IMG_9200.thumb.JPG.539ac0ebb231cde666439453fc6e38e2.JPG

The center arbor pulley is different. 

To me, your deck looks like the 990414; a pic from the combined Op/IPL manual:

image.thumb.png.2cd4881a271cebd8626c1818999cc848.png

The above was downloaded from:

https://www.simplicitymfg.com/na/en_us/support/manuals/results.productmanuals.html?searchrequested=990414

I would think the six bolt arbor tube can be used on the older deck shells (just using every other mounting hole).  Others should confirm.  

Edited by PhanDad
Added comment about 6 bolt arbor tube
  • Like 1

Thanks, guys,

990414 looks like mine. Jacks still won't let me into the site from Chrome, so used Firefox to look. Both Jacks & Partstree say NLA. 

Any suggestions

Al

Just got off the phone with Brenda at Sandy Lake. She does have a 3 bolt arbor but it has needle bearings. I gave her PhanDads suggestion & she is going to take some measurements & fotos to send to me to see if that would work.

Thanks 

Al

• Like 2