Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Couple of questions

Tarheel

I picked up a 7010 6 speed last weekend. At the price I paid, I'm not going to complain, But the shields etc for the Hi/low had been removed. Something not mentioned in the post. 6 speeds are pretty rare around here. Hydro's, Shuttle drives and variable's being far more common. So without spending any real time looking, I wanted to download a parts manual. If I've ever turned a bolt on a 6 speed, I don't recall it. Well, I tried to read the MFG number and couldn't do so. I took a pic with my phone so I could enlarge it, and still nothing. Anyone know the MFG numbers on the 7010 6 speed ?

Question 2. Someone near me has put a 54 inch simplicity deck on Marketplace. This looks like the 44 inch deck on my Broadmoor but looking at the parts manual for it (18/44 1694629) It shows a 44 and a 50. Anyone know if the 54 will fit ? Thanks

I recently re-did a 7016 six-speed in the same condition. You would need both the front and rear guard/brake assemblies to make it work. On mine, the pulleys and shift mechanism were intact, but needed maintenance and adjustment. A person would have to work pretty hard to get them off the machine. 

a quick search on ebay yielded this - I think I got my parts from the same guy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185263244693?hash=item2b228cc595:g:sYAAAOSwDsVh6KY0

20190220_105904_resized.jpg

• Like 2

Many thanks to both of you ! Now at least I can take stock of just how many parts are missing.

I currently have my 36 inch tiller behind a 7117 H. My thoughts were to place the lift/tiller on the 7010. I love hydro-statics, But for my use, they leave something to be desired  when it comes to tilling. Though I am sure that a bit of adjustment would clear up some if not all of the issues with ground speed always changing up and down.

I feel that a gear drive would be much more consistent. I'm guessing that the 10 HP Briggs will be up to the task. Input on this would be welcome.

The 7117 that the tiller is on now has an M18 in it that runs and works as it should other than a starter drive that doesn't want to engage. (I have a small diameter welding rod with one end bent to snap in place on the throttle shaft. When I need to start this one I reach in and hold the drive to engage)  A new aftermarket starter will be installed once the tiller is relocated and the 48 inch deck from a second 7117 will go under the Magnum machine.

The KT II in the last 7117 is pushing a good bit of oil and will be removed for inspection. I seem to recall a problem with those where the check valve/s in the valve covers would stick. Again, Any input would be welcome. Thanks all.

1 hour ago, Tarheel said:

I feel that a gear drive would be much more consistent. I'm guessing that the 10 HP Briggs will be up to the task. Input on this would be welcome.

I have run a 36" tiller on my 710 Allis - plenty of power,  but the three speed is a little too fast. The Six-speed low low is just right.

The six speed adjustments are not difficult, but also not intuitive. Follow the book instructions. Mine shifts smooth as silk, although the clutch is pretty grabby - not sure why - but I tend to do head snaps when changing from the very soft 710 clutch to the 7016.

• Like 2

Thank you AC710. Just the info I was needing.  As for your grabby clutch, Do you run rubber or cloth covered belts? Cloth seems to be far less grabby IMO and I noticed the belts with this 7010 are rubber coated. The belts had just been purchased and are not Simplicity. All the info I find online shows those belts being cloth wrapped BTW) .

38 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

As for your grabby clutch, Do you run rubber or cloth covered belts? Cloth seems to be far less grabby IMO

Thanks for the advice and observations. Actually both tractors are using the same belts, (NAPA cloth) so that's not the solution. The 710 belt is older, but was never grabby. I am not sure what's going on. I do know the clutch linkage is different between the 3 and 6-speed, almost opposite action. Part of it is that the "sweet spot" is in a somewhat awkward position on the 7016 - can't rock on my heel. Moving the seat helped some. It's do-able, just takes a reminder if you're not ready for it.sm00

• Like 2

Non-OEM belts come in standard lengths. OEM/Simplicity belts are engineered to the specific application length. I have found especially for my FDTs, clutch/brake belt, the OEM/Simplicity belt, 42.3" long, works better than non-OEM belt, 42.0" long, due to the length difference.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bill725 said:

the OEM/Simplicity belt, 42.3" long, works better than non-OEM belt, 42.0" long, due to the length difference.

It's hard to believe 1/3 inch could make much difference, but truth is in the experience. I think the entire belt construction - materials, specs, coatings etc probably have a lot to do with the performance as well. Next time my budget allows, I might spring for some belts for the six-speed. Thanks for the advice.

Started to turn some wrenches on the 7010 a while ago. Lots of tracks from others working remain. Starter switch has been bypassed. External coil installed. Remote starter button and toggle/kill switch as well. All works though things were left unfinished. The start button keeps the instrument panel from bolting down. If the magneto checks out, I plan to revert all back to factory. No idea what went with the headlight switch.

At any rate, the engine starts and runs well. There is a noise that sounds like it comes from the drive shaft. I have inner ear trouble so getting under it is kind of out of the question and I have so many air compressors and welders in the shop that I can't get to the lift just yet. ( Think I'm up to 15 or 16 welders. Just picked up an Airco Dipstick 160 a few weeks ago. Needs a liner for the MIG gun but came with the TIG torch. Look forward to getting it up and running)

Anyway, the tires on the 7010 seem to hold air although there are a large amount of weather checking. The steering is very tight but I hope to take care of that tonight.

All in all, I think that this will make a very usable machine. I have even located a 42 inch mower deck 1690501, Made for a 7100. Anyone know if it is a direct fit or ?

Thanks all.

10 hours ago, Tarheel said:

I have even located a 42 inch mower deck 1690501, Made for a 7100. Anyone know if it is a direct fit or ?

It'll fit perfect.  

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Tarheel said:

The steering is very tight but I hope to take care of that tonight.

You have likely worked on these steering issues before, but here's one thing to easily check. Un bolt the drag link and then try turning the steering wheel. If it's tight, it is likely the bushing at the lower end of the steering shaft needs lube (at least). Some have suggested spraying lube so it runs down the shaft to the bushing, but I have found it necessary to take the mounting apart to clean, adjust and lube it. 

Unfortunately that means getting under and pulling the gear and shaft.

P2220160.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks for the input everyone.  PhanDad, I'll contact the guy with the deck and see if I can grab it.

AC710, Lots of good info in that thread. I have long wondered why Simplicity didn't have a way to grease that lower steering shaft bearing. But then, Most owners never seem to grease the zerk on the steering arm so oh well LOL.

Got most of the hi/lo back together last night but didn't get to the steering as yet. The clutch rod was to long and will require a spacer I guess. The cam lever lacks 3/8 to 7/16 of clearing the gate finger.The spring for the pulley brake is missing and both of the bolt holes for the front belt guide pulley were stripped. There was room for nuts at both locations.

I have a couple of bins for used nuts, bolts and springs etc, But not much hope of finding a replacement for the missing spring. The rear outer belt guide is bent in a number of places and so I'll try and get that back in shape. I'll raise the tractor with the hoist to work on the steering and change the grease in the BGB and trans while I have it lifted. The front king pins are tight as well as the steering gears. So those will be pulled apart and cleaned up. Carb cleaner and the like goes a long way in clearing/thinning the old grease. Sadly, I don't own a lathe so I'll replace bearings as needed. 

Lastly, the engine oil looks like it has never been changed. Thanks again guys. Instead of getting stressed, I got this one so cheap that I can take my time and enjoy the work. I've even given thought to tearing it down and painting it at the end of the season. Not likely, but I'm thinking about it !

The sleeve hitch and link from a 7117 hydro lift, will it work with the 7010 manual lift ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tarheel said:

I have long wondered why Simplicity didn't have a way to grease that lower steering shaft bearing. But then, Most owners never seem to grease the zerk on the steering arm so oh well LOL.

I thought all that machine work was a little overkill. Mine had lasted 40 years or more and was sticky due to some rust and corrosion. Once I got it cleaned up and properly adjusted I believe it is good as new.

Hoist!? What a concept! I just got done crawling under a 416 to pull its steering gear. About 25 years of crud landed on my face. Next task (now that I can steer it) is to do a full cleanup. I don't know any condition details about the motor, BGB or Tranny, except they're all there. I'm hoping the broken steering was why they parked it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tarheel said:

The clutch rod was to long and will require a spacer I guess.

I added a 1-1/4" spacer in mine. Works great.

• Like 1

The guy with the mowing deck said to contact him at 8 this morning. I did so and waited a couple of hours with no reply. So I sent a second message saying we could maybe try another day. He came back saying he was going to take it to the scrap yard this week-end.  Now I'm not willing to make the 2.5 hour round trip. Don't trust him to be there. 

I do hate the thoughts of a solid deck being scrapped.

• Sad 1

I have the 7010 up and running. Took a ride out the road and back. Had a bit of trouble with it wanting to grind going into 3rd and the hi/lo is pretty stiff when shifting, but I have a feeling that all that will fall into place as things progress.

In other news, An hour and a half ago I was clicking through Marketplace and came across yet another ad for a simplicity. Decals were to faded to tell just what it was but I could see that all the draw bar parts were missing as was the carburetor off the engine. I talked a bit with the owner, got a bit of a price reduction and I am now the owner of a 3410 3 speed. No mowing deck (again). No idea what I'll do with it once (if) I ever get it up and going. Rust in the seat pan and no seat.  

I'm not much for painting and such but those 3400's are IMO the best looking Simplicity's ever made and just a few moments ago seeing the job AC710 had done on his 7016? Wow.  Care to share what paint you used and how you applied it ?

Thanks all.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tarheel said:

I'm not much for painting and such but those 3400's are IMO the best looking Simplicity's ever made and just a few moments ago seeing the job AC710 had done on his 7016? Wow.  Care to share what paint you used and how you applied it ?

Since you asked, here's a link to my post about the 7016.

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/64255-before-and-after-7016/?tab=comments#comment-512996

The paint - well I am no paint expert, but this started as a "get it mechanically sound" project, and morphed into a full resto. In the process of fixing tranny, driveline, front end, etc, etc I took most everything apart and rattle-can painted small stuff in the garage, and big stuff in the carport when it got warmer.

I did the most work on the hood that had at least 4 colors and misc minor dents. Basically I looked up expert auto painters on youtube and followed their advice for prep, primer, paint and polish.

Paint - close but not exact colors: From NAPA

- Dupli-Color engine enamel Chevrolet orange-red DE1607

- Krylon rust tough Almond RTA9207 (this paint is nice but easy to chip)

If you're doing the whole thing, rattle cans are not an economy choice - It took 4-5 cans to do the hood.

hood multicolor.jpg

• Like 3