Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Gunk

davidmoll

Hi guys, i have a very dirty tractor and looking to see how best to clean frame and engine area while I have the steering column off and lower console to repair the bottom seal of the gas tank.  Would automotive "Gunk" be best or do you have any better suggestions.  Dont want to compromise wire harness or electrical components.  See picture below.

dirty  tractor.jpeg

Justplaintim

I’ve used simple green.  I don’t know if it’s bad for the wiring but my tractors are still running.  

• Like 2

I first start with a scraper and shop vac and get the main stuff.  Then a power washer / Gunk / power washer.

• Like 4

Castrol Super Clean or Purple Power. Either work excellently. They work even better if you can warm what you are cleaning, either by running it or putting it out in the sun for a while.

• Like 1

I have caused trouble with a power washer by getting water past old seals (like the shifter rods) and into gear boxes. Just use care where you point it.

• Like 3

I use Purple Power, full strength. Around here, Dollar General is the cheapest source for gallons. Use a spray bottle, Home Depot's cheap hand sprayer is best (been playing the game a while). Other sprayers work, just seem to die quickly and have to be replaced. I rarely use a pressure washer for gunk removal. Spray the cleaner on, soak the gunk, allow a few minutes to soak, and wash with a garden hose sprayer. May take several attempts. Be a bit careful with any cleaner. Left on paint too long, will compromise the paint. I use Purple power in my parts washer, use the pump spraying on a part for a few days, to remove paint

• Like 2

Well cleaned tractor with "Gunk" after scraping off all the crud.  Use power washer setting on hose sprayer which worked well enough to finish the cleaning. See before picture at top of this post.  Here are the after pictures.  Found out that the variator pulley mount does swing back and forth.  So that's not the cause of the tractor slowing down going uphill.  Getting new drive belts to try.  Dave

file-32.thumb.jpeg.3aaeef8e3b3a1ddc759cbe291929d28b.jpegafter-1.thumb.jpeg.faf070238a756fc2b3ddb63675b15d01.jpeg

• Like 5