Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 9020 Deck Rebuild

Vlad_9020

Good evening,
I have a 60in deck for my 9020 that I need to rebuild. I removed the spindles from the deck body (snapped all the bolts except one). Now I need to remove the pulleys from the spindles. They seem to be keyed, and I'll attempt to remove them by simply pulling them off with a harbor freight 3 jaw puller. If that fails, I'll find a way to use my 20ton press. Before I go ahead, is there anything keeping those pulleys on the deck spindles besides friction? I don't want to break anything.
Thanks!

8 hours ago, Vlad_9020 said:

I'll attempt to remove them by simply pulling them off with a harbor freight 3 jaw puller. If that fails, I'll find a way to use my 20ton press. 

I'm not familiar with the 9020 deck, but I do know you don't want to pull on the pulley using a 3 jaw puller - it will damage the pulley.  You need to use a bearing separator behind it to distribute the load.  It's best to exert the force on the pulley hub area; I've used a cut off rod end between the bearing separator and pulley.  All depends on how much space you have to work with.  If you use your press, same principle applies, exert the force as close to the hub as you can or you'll be buying new pulleys. 

8 hours ago, Vlad_9020 said:

is there anything keeping those pulleys on the deck spindles besides friction? 

Not in my experience with the "Sovereign" type decks.  On the older decks, the arbor pulleys are keyed on, sometimes with set screw over the key; on newer decks they are splined .

Edited by PhanDad
Experience clarified
  • Like 1