Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

23D problem

dav-1

when i first got the '64 landlord it had no spark so i put a battery ignition on it. about a year ago i was using it and noticed the old spark plug wire was firing to a bolt by the carb. go figure!. lost spark a month ago so i thought it had sheared the key. turns out it doesn't use a conventional key and all was intact. while i was into it, i re-hooked the magneto and set the air gap. set the points and put in a new condensor. fired once, then no spark. rather than pull the motor again i just put the battery ignition back on, with another new condensor, held the plug wire to a bolt and it sparked, once. then no spark. i am using the regulator from a parts tractor until the new one shows up but i can't see where that would have any effect on things. is there anything that would cause condensors to fry? not sure that they are but i'm at a loss

Double check the polarity of the wires going to coil.  Also it should be a coil that doesn't require an external resistor.  I would assume if either of these were incorrect it would fry the points first.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2022 at 8:39 PM, dav-1 said:

lost spark a month ago so i thought it had sheared the key. turns out it doesn't use a conventional key and all was intact. while i was into it, i re-hooked the magneto and set the air gap. set the points and put in a new condensor. fired once, then no spark

Did you by chance remove the screws that hold the key in place? If so, you may have affected the timing, or that may have been the problem all along. Get a manual for your engine here. Setting the timing is a bit interesting on your engine, instructions are in the manual. If you have no luck with a manual, PM me, I have one

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na/en_us/support/faqs/browse/antique-engine-specifications.html

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

actually, i do have a manual, the 'Service Manual for Out of Production Motors'. i went thru the process of setting the timing several times before i was sure i had it right.

after the 'no spark' issue, i put a dial indicator on the point plunger; no movement. 

at this point i got side-tracked and have done no more. but with 13 working days left until i finally retire, i will soon have time enough for this and many other projects

• Like 3

I just think so. A neighbor told me after he retired he didn't know how he ever got anything done when he was working cause he didn't have any spare time being retired.