Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

9020 Revival

Vlad_9020

Good evening,
I have 2 9020's I'm looking to revive. The first one has an Onan that I've never heard running before purchase. It was also blowing some steam (maybe oil vapors??) from the exhaust when I was cranking it after removing the manifolds and replacing the starter. Compression seems good, 100 on left, 110 on right cylinder (as viewed from the front/flywheel side).

I managed to get it started and it idles & revs, however it quickly developed a knocking sound that I haven't pinpointed the source of yet. Could be rod bearings, could be a misfire?

I also am not familiar on how the governor works on these. Is it supposed to be always connected to the throttle? (I believe I'm missing that linkage) Does anyone have an Onan CCKB repair manual?

Thanks!

• Like 1

I believe the manuals can be downloaded on here, someone more computer savvy may be able to tell you for sure. You mentioned changing starter, don't mind where did you find a replacement,  I also have a 9020 needs a solenoid on the starter but am unable to find one , maybe time for the 3 cylinder diesel I have setting on the floor ?

this is from one of my manuals , hope it helps

DSCN4539.JPG

I replaced the starter with this one: Starter -ONAN John Deere 191-1052 191-0734 191-1808 | DBE (dbelectrical.com)

They are not bolt-on compatible. This replacement one needs you to put 3 washers (5-6mm) between it and the oil pan.  The more savvy can cut a spacer out of aluminum, it will be more reliable than 6 washers (3 on each starter bolt). There is a lot of space between the starter bolts and starter bolt holes, so you need to align it by eye. Its easy if you tilt the engine towards you when doing the replacement. Make sure to test the starter before installing the engine.  (All you need is 2 battery cables, and a jumper to the starter solenoid)

@720nut, can you post or DM me the complete page from that picture. I'm looking for the adjustment instructions, I've connected everything up, now I'm looking to set them right.

Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vlad_9020 said:

@720nut, can you post or DM me the complete page from that picture. I'm looking for the adjustment instructions, I've connected everything up, now I'm looking to set them right.

Thanks!

That I can just give me a few minutes, just got my 9020 in the garage to start on it, needs a solenoid for the starter but having problems finding one.

DSCN4546.JPG

DSCN4547.JPG

Edited by 720nut

@720nut Thanks, 
can you post a picture of the throttle and choke cable routing near the oil cooler? I'm finishing mine up, and I'm curious how its supposed to go properly. 

Also, has anyone replaced the drive belts with the ones from Simplicity? I got some Murray ones installed, and now my clutch will barely do anything. (They seem shorter than the original ones)