Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Here we go again

720nut

Ok guess ya'll was wondering what has happened to the 9020 and mower project I started a while back , everythings still here just haven't had the time or recourses to do anything with them , anyway she's back in the shop ready for a few more changes and modifications,  this is the one that I have the dual remotes to run the mower with.  

I'm in need of a starter or solenoid, it turns over and every now and then it will catch and turn over, anyway called O Riellies yesterday to price a starter and they want $265 for one and no guarantee it will work, so we're at that cross road again and to decide what is going to happen next ? 

Fast forward to the 4th picture , Little 3 cylinder diesel, it's been sitting on the floor for last 3 years waiting to go into the 4041 frame I have, it may end up in the 9020. This ole girl runs like a champ when I can get it started, so kind of a hard decission as to what course I'll be taking

DSCN4540.JPG

DSCN4541.JPG

DSCN4542.JPG

DSCN4543.JPG

• Like 3

Was planning on having engine out tonite but a little bottle got in the way, bout 3 of them so far , LOL

DSCN4549.JPG

Edited by 720nut
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Was working on her while we were getting ready for a garage / yard sale,  changed oil in her and found when the filters off I can get to the starter and oiled the bendix and wouldn't have believed it but it is now turning over . But wouldn't ya know that something else always goes wrong , like oil cooler line back to trans ( someone forgot to tie it away from the drive shaft, yeap cut it ) just fell over on the fibre disc and cut her, so now we redo it like I should have the first time.

I'm trying to figure out where I can relocate a larger oil cooler, space is so limited in these tractors and y'd think that after all the time I've spent working on these tractors I'd have it all figured out by now. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has tried to relocate one.

I did at one time start to build a fuel tank that would sit between the fenders like a D 21 and the 100 series but it never materialized, would have freed up the tank area for other stuff, mainly the battery back then.

you could mount a auxiliry cooler on the rear mower like case ih did with there planters. run the return line threw it and then back to tractor.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, s_stephen said:

you could mount a auxiliry cooler on the rear mower like case ih did with there planters. run the return line threw it and then back to tractor.

Ya don't think it would plug up with the grass clippings flying around. My idea is to eliminate the little cooler all together with the larger one. I know that occasionally you do have to blow the original ones out 

On 8/12/2022 at 6:43 AM, 720nut said:

Ya don't think it would plug up with the grass clippings flying around. My idea is to eliminate the little cooler all together with the larger one. I know that occasionally you do have to blow the original ones out 

with a fan on it yes it would plug. i was refering to no fan with oil flowing threw the coils it will still help radiat heat off. and having factory cooler still in it will help further cool the oil.

• Like 2

Am going to do something as I have it half tore apart to replace the line from cooler to trans.

DSCN4550.JPG

• Like 1

I'm curious if one of these could be made to fit, or if they weigh a TON: 

NO water cooling system to deal with.  I suspect HEAVY though. Yeah...511lbs.

Edited by jlasater
  • Like 1

Jeremy, anything can be made to fit but with that kind of weight I'd be doing a power steering remod before I even tried installing it. Another issue that may arise is the size of one of these engines, space is limited and I know others have had to cut and lengthen hood and chassis to install the larger Kubota's.

I have a set of 4.80x8 front tires on mine and makes steering so much easier, I'm undecided as to whether the 9020 or 4041 is going to get the diesel and power steering

OK finally back together and running , seems bendix just needed some oil on it . as of now the 4041 will get the diesel and Allis sheet metal as soon as I can locate some reasonably priced. Or and this is just a thought , if I can find a Sunstar cheap with 2spd rear it may get it along with the Allis sheetmetal( project I was going to do a long time ago)

Located one yesterday but too nice to tear apart.

DSCN0005.JPG

Edited by 720nut
  • Like 2