Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Early Legacy starving for fuel on startup

720nut

I have an early AGCO 2025, I probably already know the answer but when I start it at times it will run for a few minutes and then stall and refuse to start, I remove fuel cap and pressurize the tank and it will restart and run fine then the next time I try and start does the same thing. I'm thinking vacuum fuel pump but don't want to buy one if ya'll think it might be something else. 

I love this tractor and have had it for some time now , has a loader and beats a shovel any day

If you have the older aluminum body pulse pump, you can use rebuild it using Parts Unlimited P/N 451454 or Winderosa P/N 12-1133.

• Like 1

Cant say, the Legacys I have worked on all had electric fuel pumps.  Check the pick up screen in the tank. Sometimes debris can settle around that and plug it up. Just make sure that  isnt an isue before shelling out money for parts. 

I have a similar issue with a Sunstar here(my faithful snowplowing tractor). Real hard to start, gotta crank  a long time to get fuel to it to start (K341 w/mech fuel pump) Once started it runs and restarts fine. Let it sit  overnight and back to the excesive cranking . Its going to get a electric pump here soon.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Bill725 said:

If you have the older aluminum body pulse pump, you can use rebuild it using Parts Unlimited P/N 451454 or Winderosa P/N 12-1133.

Bill, mine has the plastic pump,  gunna check the tank as Sam suggests and if it don't cure it I'll buy a new pump or go to an electric pump

1 hour ago, Bill725 said:

You can use Facet P/N 40104, 1/8 NPT, 1.5-4.0 PSI, 25 GPH.

I have several but have had issues with new ones not working

On 8/11/2022 at 7:14 AM, SmilinSam said:

I have a similar issue with a Sunstar here(my faithful snowplowing tractor). Real hard to start, gotta crank  a long time to get fuel to it to start (K341 w/mech fuel pump) Once started it runs and restarts fine. Let it sit  overnight and back to the excesive cranking . Its going to get a electric pump here soon.

I had an Ultima 1920 same thing.  The fix was a new fuel line, then it could sit for weeks and start instantly.  With the tank in the back with the long hose, the hose must of had some minor weeping to allow the fuel to leak and evaporate out, or the fuel pump was drawing air through those microscopic pores.

• Like 2

I'll see Sunday as I need it to put all the tractor parts that haven't sold yesterday and today back on shelves

, yard sale thought it a good idea to try and sell some of the parts I have left over, but so far have sold none

Edited by 720nut

17 hours ago, MikeES said:

I had an Ultima 1920 same thing.  The fix was a new fuel line, then it could sit for weeks and start instantly.  With the tank in the back with the long hose, the hose must of had some minor weeping to allow the fuel to leak and evaporate out, or the fuel pump was drawing air through those microscopic pores.

Went through the bad fuel line fiasco for 2 years with the one Prestige. Was the last thing I replaced, and it fixed all the problems. Pretty sure I already replaced the line in the Sunstar, but will check again when I get to working  on it.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2022 at 9:08 AM, SmilinSam said:

Went through the bad fuel line fiasco for 2 years with the one Prestige. Was the last thing I replaced, and it fixed all the problems. Pretty sure I already replaced the line in the Sunstar, but will check again when I get to working  on it.

did you have to remove the seat pan assm. to get at the tank and lines

10 hours ago, 720nut said:

did you have to remove the seat pan assm. to get at the tank and lines

Yes I did. On a Prestige its not so hard.  On a Legacy you have to figure out how to easily unbolt the cruise lever.

Cant help with that other than to  tell you from experience that the plastic grip is not made to come off the legacy cruise lever like it is on a prestige..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SmilinSam said:

Yes I did. On a Prestige its not so hard.  On a Legacy you have to figure out how to easily unbolt the cruise lever.

Cant help with that other than to  tell you from experience that the plastic grip is not made to not come off the legacy cruise lever like it is on a prestige..

Ok thanks , guess I'll just wing it

This thing is strange ;  been several days now and has been starting everytime ( sure that now that I've said this it won't start ) beginning to think that the problem lies as Sam said in the tank or fuel line, that when I pressurized the tank it moved the blockage allowing it to run