Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity Tractor 9020 manufactured year

Dwayne F

Hello All, I've gotten my hands on a sweet little Simplicity 9020 and would like some information on how to figure out what year it was built. The tags are in pretty rough shape, but mostly readable. Thanks in advance for any hints, tips, or tricks for this beauty. 

Based on the listing on this page:

https://simpletractors.com/research/reference-info/made-when/1975-1976/

The 9020 was made in 1975 (and later years).   Check out other pages to find a MFG# match. 
Here’s a brochure for the 9020:

https://simpletractors.com/research/simplicity/9020-powrmax/
Poke around the “Research” forum for more possible info. 

Edited by PhanDad
Spelling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PhanDad said:

Based on the listing on this page:

https://simpletractors.com/research/reference-info/made-when/1975-1976/

The 9020 was made in 1975 (and later years).   Check out other pages to find a MFG# match. 
Here’s a brochure for the 9020:

https://simpletractors.com/research/simplicity/9020-powrmax/
Poke around the “Research” forum for more possible info. 

Where do i find the 16×××× manufacture number? I have the model number for the tractor 001204.found by trans filter.

16 minutes ago, Dwayne F said:

Where do i find the 16×××× manufacture number?

According to the Simplicity Engine Info list.

1975-76 1690072

1976 16900145

1977-82 1690230 & 1690283

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dwayne F said:

Were is this number located at?

It's usually on a sticker on the frame.  I'm not familiar with the "big boy" tractors, but here's a typical sticker that's on my 1978 7016H:

IMG_8977.thumb.JPG.cf982bd06b041875ea8bdc0ad8ae3110.JPG

The serial number follows the MFG# (001299).

• Like 1

I for one wish Allis would have stamped these #'s instead of this tag , lots of times this tag is all but destroyed and then no way to know what ya got.

• Like 1

Unfortunately my tag is in bad shape. New question. Are all 9020 identical, 1975 the same as a 1980? I'm in need of some parts.

20220815_204342.jpg

Far as I know yes , identical, same as Allis 720, only difference I know of was the light front axle on the earlier models.

Couple more knowledgeable than me that might chime in.

The picture of the tag looks looks like it is either a 1690230 or a 1690283. Looking up the manuals from the Simplicity Manufacturing website, the 1690230 came w/o 3-point hitch and PTO whereas the 1690283 did.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2022 at 5:39 PM, Bill725 said:

1977-82 1690230 & 1690283

Assuming it has the original engine, check engine date code to determine.

• Like 1

A photo of the tractor would confirm, but a 283 would be a 'late' 9020.  That is probably the most common Powermax model, as it had the longest production run, but is also prefered becuse it incorporates all of the design enhancements, most notably, an improved front spindle assembly.  Nailing down the year of mfg is best done using the engine serial, assuming it is the original.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dwayne F said:

Does anybody make parts for these tractors anymore?

You may not get exact part number.  Simplicity used industry standard parts so depending on the part you are looking for, most likely you will be able to find.

1) Industry standard compatible parts for bearings, seals, sensors, filters

2) Cummins still makes some parts, onanparts is another source

3) Zenith carb rebuild kits are still available

4) Several of these are being parted out, you will find good used replacement parts

Was it running when you picked up? Do you have engine shrouds?  Without those shrouds very difficult to keep engine cool.  Looks like air filter has been modified.

• Like 1

That's become a problem with these tractors lately as the PO's have changed so many thing s and so many parting them out it is really getting tuff to find an original of anything, I have 2 and both missing the air cleaner assm. and modified ignitions .

Unfortunately i dont have the shroud.  Or the original breather. And a few otjer things. And no it wasn't running starter is bad. Engine has good compression. Starter at repair shop now.

I used the 1690283 number to download the parts catalog . But i didn't find a service manual.  For some reason i cant download it from this site. I get a message not allowed to download. 

On 8/17/2022 at 7:53 AM, Dwayne F said:

Unfortunately i dont have the shroud.

Contact Mike Noonan for engine tins at 715-701-1138.

• Like 1

Thanks bill725, i found the flywheel shroud, the upper front and one side cover. Couldn't find the one around the oil filter and the upper heat shield assembly 176374