Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tractor moving

GWGAllisfan

So I've been reading all the post about moving a hydro tractor with it being not under power, and I just want to ask how do you deal with it? I read a post from way back that said no more than 50 feet, and any more than that, even by hand would destroy the hydro pump.

So I've got two of them in my backyard, that , assuming I can get a clean space in the garage, I need to do engine work for. That would be at at least 100 feet push or tow no matter what. I really don't want to try to work on the dirt, and in the direct sun, so shop or garage is a better idea.

So how does the group move dead engine hydro tractors?

I wish I was man enough to pick it up and tote it around, but sadly, No.

• Like 1

Sundstrand hydros have a horseshoe shaped release lever on top which needs to be placed in the down position to push down on the buttons on top of both check valves to hydraulically unlock the hydro. For more info, see owners manual.

I have read the same advice about minimizing distance when pushing/pulling a tractor with a Sundstrand hydro even with the hydraulic release pushing down.  

That said, I think it would be OK to push or pull the tractor slowly to the shop in several increments waiting a couple hours between moves to let the hydro drain down (or whatever the issue is). 

Or put a couple of "car movers" or small furniture dollies under the back wheels to avoid the problem altogether.  

• Like 1

I believe this applies to hooking up and towing the tractor for a fair distance, at some speed.  We all move these around occasionally, and sometimes drag them from the front/back yard to the garage.  If you hook up to these and drag them any significant distance at a quick speed ( fast walk?) you can damage the pump's internals, as a hydro requires the fluid and the pressure to lubricate everything as it is running.  Without any lube, it's kind of like running your engine without oil or oil pressure.  That is why, for healthy hydro use it is always good to keep RPM's at or near full throttle to keep a high volume of fluid and good pressure on all of the components.  To push, by hand, a tractor, 50-100 feet I doubt would actually hurt anything.  To hook up to it and drag it in at a good fast walking speed from the back 40, would likely cause unlubricated damage.  Just my thoughts from experience of use and conversation, but I am no expert.

• Like 4