Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New Agco Allis owner. Help me date it?

dwilso6

Hi,

I recently bought this tractor.  The owner told me it was a simplicity sovereign 18H that had been repainted and rebadged as an M-F.  However, the model number tells me it is an Agco 918H.  It has a 48" deck.  The engine data is missing, but it has the Command OHV.  Tractor serial # shows 1208.  Does anyone know the year it was made? 

Also, first post!

-Dustin

ss18b.jpg

IMG-1869.jpg

IMG-1863.jpg

simplicitybattery.jpg

agcodeck.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dwilso6 said:

Does anyone know the year it was made? 

Welcome to the club.

Determining exactly when a Simplicity tractor was made is pretty much impossible; there isn't any record (that we know of) that lists serial numbers and manufacturing dates.  Using the engine model manufacturing info (if the engine is original) and the Simplicity "model year" data is the best you can do to determine tractor manufacture info.  

Based on the info in this post:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/56470-looking-for-info-on-the-sovereign-18-hydro/

And this info from the 1995 Electrics Manual:

image.thumb.png.d3e095e3f40030f37c19adbc00a4489c.png

The same info is shown in the 2005 Engine Info Manual:

image.png.67da9a5578f9a985e074636329eb36da.png

The same tractor MFG# was also listed for 1996.  

PS - not the original seat, but the long seat hinge is still bolted to the seat pan.

Edited by PhanDad
Added "if the engine is original"
  • Like 3

The drive belt & mower blades sticker under the hood says "900 series" which indicates Agco-Allis 918H.

The frame color looks like it is late model e-coat flat black rather than the earlier model painted dark grey. I bought a new 2000 Sovereign which is e-coat flat black and purchased a used 1999 Sovereign which is dark gray. The e-coat tends to flake off.

I am thinking it is a 2000 Agco-Allis 918H which came powered with the Kohler Triad engine. There is a sheet metal cover screwed to the RH side of the hood which indicates the engine was replaced and the hood cut for a Kohler or another muffler with RH exit. The muffler was replaced later with the new style Simplicity muffler and the sheet metal cover added to strengthen the hood. On the old style Simplicity muffler the LH exhaust goes straight from the cylinder head to the body of the muffler. The muffler heat shield is not Simplicity but may be from the other muffler.

The Kohler Command has cooling fins in the crankcase area which indicates an older CH18 model and most likely used. The engine most likely came with the Kohler muffler and changed later.

The seat deck has several unused holes. They are prone to cracking at the welds at the rear hinge and in the front. The original had a seat fore-aft adjuster. Maybe the seat pan along with seat was replaced with an older one.

Can you read the 169XXXX Mfg. No. on the tag? If it is a 2000 Agco-Allis and looks like no power steering the Mfg. No. would be a 1693413.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bill725 said:

There is a sheet metal cover screwed to the RH side of the hood which indicates the engine was replaced and the hood cut for a Kohler or another muffler with RH exit. The muffler was replaced later with the new style Simplicity muffler and the sheet metal cover added to strengthen the hood. On the old style Simplicity muffler the LH exhaust goes straight from the cylinder head to the body of the muffler. The muffler heat shield is not Simplicity but may be from the other muffler.

You have even sharper eyes!

My thoughts: It has been repowered.   I don't believe the decals are original.  I can't tell for certain, but the hood looks to be the type to support the round headlights, not the slightly lowered hood for the rectangular headlights?  I would think mid 90's and I only say that because it gives a wide range and I have a better chance of being correct. 666

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

All good observations, though the black frame was also used on the approximately 1993-1996 units also which had command engines and this one has the early style steering wheel and the 97 and up models had a translucent fuel tank but this has the older black tank. The grille screen is also not original. Kind of hard to say with all of the changes made to it. 

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

Sorry for taking so long to get back here.  The model is 1692144.  That makes it an AGCO Allis 918H from what I can tell.  Does anyone have the rear clevis/one point hitch for this model?  I was able to get the rear lift from facebook marketplace.