Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Prestige 30 Hydraulic Issue

k9bitten

Mowing with my prestige 30.  I hit something hidden in tall grass and it stopped the motor immediately. Now the power steering is heavy and the lift is very slow. The tractor still moves forward and back normal as it should. Any ideas are appreciated. 

Any ideas? It’s at the shop now. It stopped suddenly. Maybe Centrifugal related? Sheared something maybe? I’ll post the results and hopefully they help someone. 

• 2 weeks later...

So…after talking with the shop and a phone call to TT and talking with another shop who had the same repair for the same reason, it needs a new K72. Basically the wheels are powered by the main motor pump. The hydraulics and steering are powered from the charge pump. With the sudden stoppage inertia broke something internally. There are brass pieces in the filter. It’s more cost-effective to just replace it then to chase down the internals. Waiting to find a date the transmission will be available. Built to order at TT. Tractor is too nice to junk or part out. Unfortunately  Need to spend big $$$$$ to fix it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The other shop tried by first replacing the steering generator. And then up to the lift valve. Neither one of those were the solution. They put the original parts back on. The solution was a new transmission.

Edited by k9bitten
  • Like 1

Interesting.  Wonder if anybody (Simplicity, TufTorq, etc) did an FMEA (Failure Mode Effects Analysis) on these transmissions/drive systems.  At these high levels of integration, failures have much more expensive solutions than on the older Sundstrand (essentially component) style drivetrains. On Legacy (non-XL) and earlier tractors there are mechanical 'fuses' that would reduce the $$ for repairing the damages from such a forseeable event.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2022 at 9:45 AM, k9bitten said:

Now the power steering is heavy and the lift is very slow. The tractor still moves forward and back normal as it should.

On 9/4/2022 at 10:36 PM, k9bitten said:

Basically the wheels are powered by the main motor pump. The hydraulics and steering are powered from the charge pump

I'm a bit confused; I understand the above statements.  The hydraulic "system" sounds comparable to the Sovereign.  

So the problem should be in the charge pump system, not the "main motor pump".  But 

On 9/4/2022 at 10:38 PM, k9bitten said:

The solution was a new transmission.

So the charge pump must be an integral part of the newer hydro transmissions and can't be serviced separately.   

Another plus for the "old iron".  

• Like 1

On 9/8/2022 at 11:57 AM, PhanDad said:

So the problem should be in the charge pump  

YES!

So the charge pump must be an integral part of the newer hydro transmissions and can't be serviced separately. 

Another plus for the "old iron".  

That is correct. All one unit. $$$