Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

IT'S A WRAP!!! (and then some)

Hick

We have been in this house on two acres for 24 years this month.
In all those years, I've mowed across water hoses and electrical cords with no problems.
Until today . . . .
Surprising how fast 20' of garden hose can wrap up on the spindle!
20220829_142916.thumb.jpg.15f363f35e2e340f3dfd653b3e912cf6.jpg
In addition to the garden hose, I had more problems. The sump pump drain goes to the ditch south of the house, then on to the county ditch. It is a buried 4" PVC pipe, with the last 12' or so of exposed half-buried green sewer pipe. I had reworked it about a month ago, and have been driving over it mowing with no problems.
But today as I crossed over it, the blades cut chunks out of them and mulched the pieces up REALLY good! Some were down to dime-size!
The only thing I can figure out is the ground is so dry that it had shrunk down, putting the pipe up enough for the blades to catch it.
I red-necked the fix, of course!
Solid 4" pipe then to an open-top (thanks to the mower) pipe that I squeezed down to slip inside the bell end of a 3" pipe. This drains 3 sump pumps. I did the math and the smaller pipe will be okay.
Then another half-pipe over the top screwed to the 4" pipe, then squeezed down to the 3" pipe and screwed on there. Basically a 5' long funnel! The cover is so I can put dirt around and over it.
Put a flexible section at the end to carry the water further down.
20220829_180655.jpg.3dac618ca79ebb4d832e671f3b72120f.jpg
Edited by Hick
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, SmilinSam said:

Just NO fun at all.... and not to mention the cost of garden hose these days....

I do not recall the last time I bought a garden hose. We had way too many at my previous job so I brought the poorer ones home. Two of my 100' hoses were laid out to the drip-line for my trees and have been there so long they were effectively buried. I pulled them up when I removed the dripline, so have them on the repaired reel of a couple weeks back. If a hose gets damaged I cut the damaged part out and splice it. In this case I cut the hose off and put a new end on it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Last hose issue I've heard concerned an Exmark mower and guy said it came out in little pieces, I try and mow around them but lately have one customer who refuses to pick up his hoses , so far no issues mowing over them , just tired of mowing around them 

• Like 1