Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Restoring mower deck

wwbragg

I am finally restoring the 1693419 mower deck that came with my 7119.  I noticed that it does not match up with the 7119 accessories listed on partstree.com.  So I am wondering: for what tractor was it intended?? 

In spite of the mud pack under the cover plates, the spindles turn very nicely.  The outer spindles turn as smooth as glass, and I could probably get away with using the bearings on the center spindle but since I have it apart and based on the difficulty of removing them later, I will replace them now. 

What grade of grease should I use in the Arbor housing?  Is it a real heavy grease, or can I use lithium wheel bearing grease?  

DSCF3148.JPG

DSCF3138.JPG

DSCF3146.JPG

DSCF3147.JPG

• Like 1

My late model 2000 Sovereign came with a 1693418 and was a painted Simplicity deep orange. I'm thinking the 1693419 is the same 48" deck painted black which would have come with the Agco Allis 900 or Massey 2800 series.

I like to use grease with moly.

Since powder coating my deck I like running without the deck covers and use compressed air to blow off both the tractor and deck. 

• Like 2

You should be able to use any type of grease you want, Wendall.  I would use the least expensive.  The grease is not for greasing the bearings, the bearings are sealed.  The grease is to encase the bearings on the bottom of the arbor to keep water from getting to them and rusting them.   Also, I highly recommend that if you are replacing bearings to use never seize liberally as you re-assemble everything, you will thank yourself in the long run for future repairs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, wwbragg said:

It goes to the powder shop tomorrow

There are two types of powder coat, decorative and industrial. They used industrial on mine.

48 minutes ago, Brettw said:

The grease is not for greasing the bearings, the bearings are sealed.

Even though the bearings are considered sealed, the seals are made of rubber and you can force grease past the seals to lubricate the bearings. I remove all of the hardware from the bottom of the spindles and pump grease until it starts to come out the seal. My deck was new in 2000, and after 22 years of mowing 1 acre / 1 hour per cutting the bearings are still good. When it comes time to replace, I will remove the inner bearing seals.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am mixed on removing the deck covers.  Yes, somehow the covers quickly pack with grass clippings underneath and if they get wet will hold water and rust the deck.  I removed mine and had trouble with all the clippings stirred up by the deck belt being drawn into and against the cooling air intake on the flywheel.  On one mower that I bought used the engine was cooked because grass clippings were matted on the flywheel screen.  This can happen even with the deck covers installed but does not seem to be as bad.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...