Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Saying Hello with my 1961 simplicity 725

DreMetalwork

Hey all! Just got a 1961 Simplicity 725 to use around my place. I got it with the mower, snowplow, rototiller, 3 belt snowblower, and sickle bar. Ive had the mower up and running, which was nice to see but want to use this more for snow removal and carting things around, so I removed it. Engine seems to be running good since I gave the carb a good cleaning. It has a Briggs and Stratton 8 hp industrial engine in it with a model number 196432 1035 E1. The tractor itself doesn't have any readable serial numbers on its tag. My engine and transmission knowledge is minimal,  I'm learning a lot as I go, but I work professionally as a sheet metal fabricator and a certified welder so I believe I'm up to the challenge of keeping this baby going. I look forward to giving this thing another 60 years of life. Next steps for me are checking levels of oil for the BGB and transmission. (I have notice slight oil leak from the transaxles and the clutch weep hole at back, I've read the discussions of replacing those gaskets and will look into it in the future.) Anything the experts over here think I should look out for while using it to make sure she continues to run  please let me know. Thanks all. 

Little video of it after I got it back up and running. New fuel lines and carb clean out.

Dan

6BB3389E-5791-408C-BB32-49454A786319.jpeg

• Like 6

Nice looking tractor. Welcome to the club, a $10.00 membership will get you to all the manuals. These guys are great and questions just ask and someone will be able to answer it for you.

• Like 3

Appreciate the hello Tadams. Easily one of the best 10 dollars I have spent, and since paying the membership dues I have been looking through the operating and owner manuels, great resource. Hope your well and take care.

• Like 4

Welcome to the club.  

What a great find - the tractor and deck look to be in great shape.

1 hour ago, DreMetalwork said:

I got it with the ..., 3 belt snowblower

1 hour ago, DreMetalwork said:

but want to use this more for snow removal

As to the 3 belt SB, it's my understanding they're a pain and the newer single belt blower is much better.  I don't have any personal experience with a 3 belt blower so hopefully others will confirm.

According to this "what fits" page:

https://simpletractors.com/research/reference-info/what-fits/snowthrowers/st_pg35/

there are several early FDT single belt blowers that will fit your tractor directly.  

And please post some more pics of your tractor and attachments (Show and Tell forum is the perfect place).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey Phandad,

it's nice to say hi and thanks for that reference towards the snowblower attachments. I hadn't seen that list yet, that info will surely come in handy. 

The tractor really does seem to be in great condition and the mower deck didn't have any real signs of rust or pitting which was quite astonishing! the other attachments are in much rustier condition and will get the once over with my grinder or wire brush and some paint after in the next few weeks.

I will be sure to post more pictures in that forum space when I begin that process on the attachments.

Hope your well and take care!

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 8:33 AM, DreMetalwork said:

It has a Briggs and Stratton 8 hp industrial engine in it with a model number 196432 1035 E1.

FYI, not the original engine.

On 9/20/2022 at 8:33 AM, DreMetalwork said:

(I have notice slight oil leak from the transaxles and the clutch weep hole at back,

Older transaxles have bronze bushings pressed in the case where the axle tube exits. They are prone to wear causing the seals to leak. The newer transaxles starting with the 2210 use needle bearings which cured the issue. Can replace transaxle with 2210 or have case bored for needle bearings. @ShaunEhas a post. Maybe our Librarian, @PhanDad, can find it and repost.

The BGB is the older 3/4" small BGB and many parts are NLA. I have converted all 3 of my FDTs to the newer 7/8" big BGB which requires a custom machined BGB cross shaft.

Come on back for more info.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very sharp looking machine! Welcome to the club! Even newer tractors with needle bearings need a seal now and then. If you're lucky maybe its not that badly worn and a set of seals alone will fix it. Examine the axle tube for wear. 

• Like 1

Wonderful information, Bill725. I didn't know about the different sized BGBs', I am crossing my fingers that I can get a season or two without going through the conversion for the bigger sized BGB. 

I appreciate the direction on the transaxles as well (bill725, chris727, phandad). I've been reading up on those posts for a month or so now. I work at a machine shop, and can run manuel bridgeports and lathes (colchesters clausings), so hopefully I can do the machining for the cross shaft, possibly even boar the trans case for needle bearings. 

The limiting factor for all my work to be done to the tractor is most certainly terminology and correctly identifying parts of the tractor, but I have learned so much already and will continue to learn more.

I appreciate all the kind words and directions fellas. thanks phandad, bill725, tadams, and chris 727

Dan

• Like 1