Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

gwiseman

JD Spike Aerator - help

gwiseman

I’ve usually get a decent deal buying lawn & garden stuff on FB but not so fortunate this time. I bought a pkg deal: an old New Belgium bicycle to clean up a rehab this winter and a 40” JD spike aerator. The spike tines are metal and a plastic molded insert rides on a metal shaft. This thing is frozen nearly solid!  I got the end tine off, wire brushed the shaft and cleaned out the plastic insert but that was tough. I acc it get the second spike assembly to move outward. Been soaking it w/PB Blaster, have turned the spike with much effort, but the dang thing will not move up the shaft. Anyone got any suggestions? 98B99A3A-C32F-41C7-9E44-1E342A692C77.thumb.jpeg.8e450ba5ef41574a8b532ec87c65f484.jpeg
the only one I’ve removed. 464577A9-ACFA-47D6-B732-0FB401AED8BE.thumb.jpeg.31711d1d56258ca52f967adca60f86c3.jpeg
Id like to hear the plastic but I’m a bit concerned and these spike assemblies are $50/ea

0525F7F5-C285-4859-AC2E-D31CF1406C78.jpeg

maxwood

Hello, Have you thought about putting it back together and lubing  the heck out of it,

and put some weight on it , hooking it to the tractor and dragging it around until it loosens up

I have a smaller version agri-fab 36 inch model, that each spring it is bound up . 

It reminds me of an 69 MG midget that I  owned ,it had wire wheels.  my 1st wife before we were together

took it to Daytona beach and parked it on the beach and left it for a few hours only to have had the TIDE come in?

A few thousand miles later ,it needed new tires ,but the wire wheels were rusted to the splined hub

I took the knock off nut off  and tried  doing donuts to get the wheels off!!

No luck I ended up making a puller to get them off . Years later the car rusted away

Thanks Ken in Mi

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Chris727

I used to sell those once in a while at the dealership. Never had a customer complaint of them freezing up. 

gwiseman
12 hours ago, s_stephen said:

id use a heat gun and warm it up. not hot but warm to touch. then see if it will move.

Good idea, I’ll use a heat gun this weekend when I’m back in the shop.

11 hours ago, wwbragg said:

Well, that's JD for ya'.   (just kidding) Kroil is 100 times better that BP Blaster

I did use some Kroil too, and silicone spray but this thing is nuts. Yesterday I drilled 4  holes, 2 on opposite sides of each side of the ens spike. Shot Kroil and blaster to it, rust comes out but still no movement.

Have you thought about putting it back together and lubing  the heck out of it, and put some weight on it , hooking it to the tractor and dragging it around until it loosens up

I did think of that but this thing is crazy tight, one plastic piece in the middle is cracked already so I was afraid I might break more than rust. But this ain’t over yet…
Thanks all