Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

20 hp Sunstar

John2189

My Sunstar sometimes runs only on one cyl. I’ve pulled out the choke and no change, so im assuming it is electrical. I’ve heard that the coils go bad. Anyone know the part number? It is a Kohler command 20 hp. Ch20 s 64512.  I’ve looked on the internet and get several different part numbers. 

thanks. John 

5 hours ago, Bill725 said:

Go back and read your Redsquare Wheel Horse Forum post for P/N and cost.

Or you could copy & paste your response here LOL!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bill725 said:

Go back and read your Redsquare Wheel Horse Forum post for P/N and cost.

Sorry, one of the guys at red square gave me the website for this forum, so I thought I would join it and ask here. 

• Like 2

Don't feel that you need to apologize for your post John 2189. Legitimate guestion on your part for a first post on this forum. Welcome to this forum and I hope your further experiences here are benificial. 

• Like 2

There have been a number of revisions to the Simplicity spec Command ignition coil PN's and most (all?) required both modules to be replaced.  IF a module is defective (NFG), it should be replaced by a module that matches the other module or install an upgrade kit for both modules.  Download the appropriate Kohler parts manual to get the original PN and plug that in at OPEengines.com.  That should get you to the current rev level kit.  

You really need to isolate the problem first and verify that the module is failing.  Could be something else.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CarlH said:

There have been a number of revisions to the Simplicity spec Command ignition coil PN's and most (all?) required both modules to be replaced.  IF a module is defective (NFG), it should be replaced by a module that matches the other module or install an upgrade kit for both modules.  Download the appropriate Kohler parts manual to get the original PN and plug that in at OPEengines.com.  That should get you to the current rev level kit.  

You really need to isolate the problem first and verify that the module is failing.  Could be something else.

When it happens, I pulled out the choke with no change so I don’t think it is fuel.  I changed the spark plugs with no change. I gapped the plugs from.030 to.020  with no change other than it takes longer to recover. Don’t know what else I can try. 
john