Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 17GTH-L coil recommendation

Zeke1

I have a bad coil on a Simplicity 17GTH-L with the Kohler KT17.  The secondary winding measures as open, primary is at 5 ohms.  I see the $200 to $350 Kohler branded coils available, but I need a more reasonably priced alternative.  I see those in the $40 range on ebay and I see mention of a Harley Davidson branded coil that will work.  Does anyone have any recent experience with a specific aftermarket/non-Kohler that has served well?  Can anyone recommend (based on experience) a specific part number or seller of a good coil for this application, at a reasonable price? Thanks for any help that anyone can provide.

I bought one off EBAY for just under 100 dollars about 4 years ago, but I don't remember the brand, and can't find any of the emails. I think it might have been Stens 055-457, but I don't remember.

There are some for just under 40 on Amazon, but they are unknown brand.

I heard that late 90's GM coil packs from 3.4L and 3.8L can be used. Didn't try it, since I didn't have one, the car having already been disposed of......

Thanks for responding, the Stens unit is $200.00 and up now, and I see folks posting information saying that in some cases the brand name and no-name $35 units are the same, even the production numbering, so I was hoping that maybe someone had experience with a good aftermarket unit.