Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Need a muffler for 14hp cast iron briggs-options?

srwven

I need a muffler for my 14 cast iron briggs (7014). I was wondering if there was an aftermarket auto muffler that I could use without doing alot of modifications. I remember someone saying something about a honda civic muffler from napa? Any experience with this-what parts and modifications would it need?

My F-B cat. shows replacement muffler for Briggs 8-16HP, 290933, 299477, 390247, 392989. Hope this helps....Art http://www.foley-belsaw.com/freeWholesaleSmallEnginePartsCatalog.html

I put a Farmall Cub (not cub cadet) muffler on my Big 10 and am real happy with it. If Kent has moved the gallery section you can see a picture of the installation under the "Tough Ten" title. Ron

I, like Carter, put the IH-1 (Farmall Cub) muffler on my B-110. All you will need is a couple of 1" NPT pipe nipples (4") , one 1" NPT elbow, one stainless pipe clamp, and 2-3 1" electrical lock rings. Works like a charm and is somewhat quieter......DaveG

The original Nelson "coffee can" mufflers are still available from dealers... Somewhere in the $45 range. The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

What's the absolute quietest muffler anyone's ever heard on a 8-10hp. cast iron Briggs? I like to save my ears for ruination with loud music, so I wear the best muffs I can find when I chainsaw, mow, grind, etc.... But I still find my 8hp. barks bad, louder than the 10 hp. on the Landlord, and both mufflers are in good shape, and look like "willfits" or maybe OEM replacements--I can't tell. I wouldn't know a Nelson from a half-Nelson. With a quieter muffler, be it BradB's Farmall stack, which I really like, or a Civic muffler from the junkyard, is there a performance loss as a consequence of less noise? If so, is it significant? Peter

$65 -- Wow, that makes me appreciate my dealer even more. I knew he gave me a price break, but I didn't realize how much... he even keeps these in stock most of the time. I, too, would like to find a quieter solution... The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

The 7014 muffler is alot different than the type used on a Wonderboy or B-112 etc. Do you need just the muffler or the whole exaust setup for a 7014? I have a complete used exhaust package . If interested e-mail me or send a message through the site here. SmilinSam

I used a pipe nipple to get outside the hood, then screwed on a universal 1-inch threaded muffler on my AC 716. I also mounted a motorcycle muffler (with removable baffles) on my son's pulling tractor. Rod H.

Rod: If it made it much quieter, I'd like to bother you for more details, on the motorcycle muffler. Off of a two-stroke or four? What was the approx. displacement of the bike? With baffles in, does it restrict performance, and if so, how much? Isn't a cycle muffler quite long? How did you mount it? Thanks, Peter

BigSix, With the motorcycle muffler, the tractor is almost as quiet without baffles as my AC716. I have a vertical muffler setup with the motorcycle unit. If I had a digital camera, I would post a picture. Got to get one. Anyway, I used a one inch pipe nipple to screw into engine and clear hood and grille, then I screwed on a coupler. The coupler outer diameter was larger than the inner diameter of the motorcycle pipe. I machined the coupler till it could barely be forced into the motorcyle pipe and then clamped the two together. The motorcycle pipe is pieced together from several curved sections to clear the hood and carb, then turn vertically. The muffler is welded vertical, and all the joints are welded. In this muffler, the baffles are held in the very end of the muffler with a single 1/4 in bolt. I can remove for pulling, but re-insert for home use. It is from a 4-stroke bike. Nearly any motorcycle muffler of same or larger diameter pipe will be quieter, and have less restriction. I can't give you a brand or bike engine size cause I don't remember where I got it. Rod H.

Rod: Thank you very much. Sounds very effective, and useful. I will keep my eye out for a cycle muffler. Thanks again. Peter

have any of you used "The Quiet Spark Arrestor Muffler" heres the url to check it out, i have been considering this muffler for my a/c big ten, to both quiet it down, and for fire danger, fire danger gets extremely high around here during the summer months, U.S.D.A. FOREST APPROVED - Rated at 99.4% spark arresting efficiency (80% required). QUIET - Up to one-half the exhaust noise level of any other spark arrestor or compact muffler (2 - 4 dbA quieter). Optional Resonator available for additional 4 to 6 dbA reduction. http://www.jackssmallengines.com/strapmain.cfm i would like to hear feedback on this exaust if anyone has used it, Thanks Randy