Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

BGB bevel gears for a 7118H

Rkuklasr

I'm a neophyte here.  Really.  I have a 1997 Simplicity 7118H that I recently purchased and in the process of changing all the fluids and filters, discovered that the bloke before me never changed the gear lube in the bevel gear box and goth drive and driven are pretty worn.  Simplicity has the gears on back order for months already and no eta noted.  The are myriad bgb's for sale out there, but few know what fits what.  Assuming I reuse the existing case and shafts, are all bgb gears the same irrespective of manual, variable, or hydrostatic drives?  Other than Arrow Gear Co. stamp on the hubs, I don;t see any AGCO/Simplicity part numbers.  I would be nice to buy a box after removing the cover to inspect the gears and just using them, selling off the rest of the box.  Any help on if/what differences there are in the various vintage gear sets would be invaluable.  Thank you

The 7/8" BGB with a cone clutch are all the same parts but there could be an output shaft that is different.  I believe 3sp,6sp, shuttle (4sp), and hydro used the same output shaft.  The one that is different is the variable drive system but I'm not sure that any of the variables came with a cone clutch.

• Like 1

Thank to all of you.  I determined Simplicity's part numbers for the drive and driven gears and I have forwarded those to the sales engineers at Arrow Gear in Downers Grove.  Between the new gear route and the used marketplace, I'm hoping to bring my baby back to a long life. If I understand correctly, tractors based on the 3400 series and later/as large should work which means BGB's going back to the mid 70's installed in long frame/higher horsepower machines should work.  That gives me great hope.  Again, thank you to all who've contributed and to this great forum.

9 hours ago, Rkuklasr said:

I have forwarded those to the sales engineers at Arrow Gear in Downers Grove.

Make sure you keep us informed as to what Arrow Gear has to say.

I certainly will.  And one correction; my tractor is a Sovereign, not 7118H, but who's counting.  It's a good hydrostatic tractor with the 18HP Kohler Command engine.  The BGB is it's issue and I will conquer the issue.

• Like 2

On 10/5/2022 at 4:20 PM, Bill725 said:

The small BGB has 3/4" shafts and bearings was used in 3300 series and older Simplicity and equivalent A/C tractors.

Correction.

The small BGB has 3/4" shafts and bearings was used in 3200 series and older Simplicity and equivalent A/C tractors. The 3300 series was the first tractor with the big BGB and had the mule drive PTO. The 3400 has a big BGB and was the first tractor with a cone clutch PTO.

Thank you for the great information.  I'm starting to get an education on bevel gearboxes by default.  I spoke today with the Engineer at Arrow Gear in Downers Grove and he stated that they were probably a low volume product and he has no existing drawings or information.  He also stated it wouldn't be in either of our best interests to have a set custom hobbed.  Read:$$$.  So I need to decide whether to excavate an existing box matching the 7118H configuration or try to piece together all the components to rebuild my box.  Gears, output and input shaft, bearings, seals, "C" clips could get rather spendy as well.  I will prevail.

• Like 2

When I rebuilt one of my bgb's I bought a whole new to me one but the shafts were bad and the gears were good. So it has the original to the tractor shafts with the other gears.  It wasn’t to bad of a job it just took me forever because anymore I don’t have that much time to spend in the garage.