Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-112 project tractor

Hoss

I found a B-112 for sale, it has a 3 speed trans. with a variable speed. Is this what we call the Shuttle Shift? It has not run for years but has been shedded. It appears to be in excellent shape. Are these good tractors for projects or are they money pits? I have heard some bad things from other members. Is this worth my time and effort?

Hoss, What you are looking at is a variable drive not a shuttle. Major differences between the two. The variable has reverse in the trans. the shuttle reverses the input to the trans for reversing. Both can be troublesome if not set up properly. The variable is much more popular and shouldn't be a problem it it is set up correctly. I have a B112 being resurrected now and think it will be a fine unit when finished. Go for it. Ron

"Vari-Drive" and "Shuttle" are two different animals. The varidrive uses a 3 speed + reverse transmission with the varidrive providing, in effect, low to high range. "Shuttle" uses a 4 speed transmission with the shuttle permits going from forward to reverse without a clutch. I don't know what "bad" things you heard from "other" members, but the B-112 is a fine dependable machine. "Money Pit"? That depends on your point of view. A few hundred dollars spent on a B-112 will give you a tractor that will last for many years. Couldn't buy anything new close to it today for less than many thousands.

Must be an echo in here this morning. Obviously Dutch and I are looking out of the same port hole on this issue. Ron

I'm not knocking the B-112, I have heard other members joke about the Shuttle Shift. I know how troublesome the 6216 variable drive was. I just want to spend my project time wisely. I really don't want to restore a classic that I won't enjoy using.

I have a B-210 and a Simplicity 3112V, the counterpart of the B-112. The biggest problem I have had, is the initial adjustment of the drive. Once that is done, it is pretty much trouble free. I have found that the factory adjustment procedure is not the exact adjustment, and a little more "tweaking" is required. I don't know if anyone else has had this experience, but I hope someone will correct me if I am wrong. Pat

There have been negative comments about the shuttle transmission. Personally, I have one and I like it. I have never had any problems with it. There is an adjustment procedure in the operator's manual that is pretty simple and short that keeps it operating properly.

Hoss, Yes, there are members who "knock" the shuttle. There are also others who like them. The B-112 is not a shuttle, so it's really irrelevant. Anything mechanical can be troublesome if it's not set up right, and maintained. Restoring classics is certainly not for everyone (that's why new tractors are sold). I own tractors that were discarded by their previous owners. After appraising what they needed, making the decision to fix them, and spending some time & money, I have tractors that are dependable and troublefree. Total expenditures on each was under $1000 (not counting my time). Replacement cost (if they were still made new) would be over $6000. Those who seem to have problems with restorations usually over-reach their capabilities or cut corners on repairs. Best bet is to obtain manuals, determine what the machine needs, and fix it right. It will serve you well.

Hoss, my B-112 was resurected outta a pickup load of rusty iron, and though not "restored" it is one hard working MOCHINE. Don't see how you could come to reget owning one, long as you don't mind being a footdragger..MPH

Hoss, Been looking for a vari-drive for a while. Got a 3 speed and a hydro. If it was close to home, I'd jump at the chance of getting a tractor like this. Rod H.

After several tries, he has now decided not to sell it. He must have took note of how over anxious I was to aquire this gem. I will not give up though, It is in excellent shape.

interesting mistake Hoss, I made the same on a landlord last summer that had a plow, grader blade, sickle mower and snow blower with it, good news is I got it about 4 months later.. Never give up...MPH