Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Cultivator / Spring Tooth Harrow

MadMike

I'm looking for advice on how well the Simplicity made Cultivators and Harrows work. The soil in my area has a lot of clay so needless to say the ground can be a little hard at times. I typically till with a walk behind rear tine tiller but these cannot till deep enough. Field grass and wild carrot roots seem to go on forever. How deep do these cultivators cultivate, and how deep do these Harrows harrowivate. (HaHa) The only experience I have with cultivators are with my brothers John Deere A, of course that monster will tear down about 18 inches. Thanks for any advice, MadMike (Mike Z)

Sounds like you need to plow or get your brother's Deere to loosen the soil before any harrow or cultivator is used.

Mike, Ive got a clay sand mix here, most folks around here plow every few years to make the tilling easier. I dont know about yourself but, I notice that if the soil gets to fluffed up, after it rains it hardens up like plaster. Mine was plowed this spring with a 300 IH, in my humble opinion, the most praticall farm tractor ever made. yet that discussion is probably meant for a different web page. good luck. dougm

I have the spring tooth harrow. It will go about 1 1/2 to 2 inches deep on ground that has been worked before. After tilling, it will run about 3" to 4" deep. You could probably force it to go deeper by weighting it, but I would think that you may spring the tines. This tool is made for keeping weeds out of previously worked soil, not breaking up hard soil. Pat

For going deep I use my Farmall A to plow it and then use the V A with the tiller on it works about 6 inches deep and stops the weeds.I have red clay here and it sure gets hard.Bob