Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

A.C. fuel tank cap/float?

macallis180

Seem to be having a difficult time finding the correct cap/gauge. Finally decided I was tired of cutting out bottoms of peanut butter jars to use as covers, and want to buy 2 new, or gently used caps. Will be for HB112, B112, HB212, all have the approx 6 1/2" tall tank to top of neck,  1 1/2" cap. Have got a couple short ones, but would like to get ones that have the 5 1/2" total stem length from under the cap.  This one seems to be the most accurate.

Any ideas?  Price seems to vary widely, but haven't seen this dimension yet.

Thanks.

14 hours ago, macallis180 said:

Found it on Jacks Small Engine = $30.00 each.

Anyone found them more reasonably priced?

Last one I bought at a dealership cost nearly $30 and that was couple years ago. I have a bunch of old ones without faces that I've tried to glue faces to but gasoline seems to soften most glue and before long I'm getting sprayed with it. 

Yep, I have had mixed success with glue on these when I have cut out lens from peanut butter jar bottoms. Got a couple that worked out, but more that didn't.  lol.

2 hours ago, gwiseman said:

but gasoline seems to soften most glue and before long I'm getting sprayed with it

1 hour ago, macallis180 said:

mixed success with glue on these

I've had success sealing top seams of gas tank with:

SealAll.thumb.JPG.64857bc667450fbccdb4ddf37cf26ad9.JPG

IMG_5729b.thumb.jpg.2607e66cb5c760c78b0aa5467627da50.jpg

(Homelite T-12 gas tank)  

I would think it would work for the gas cap lens seal.  

• Like 2

I had an old chain saw that had a hole in the gas reservoir and repaired it with a patch of fiberglass and some special gas proof resin/hardener the fg supplier provided.  Works fine and saved an old Echo saw that I picked up at the disposal bin.  Had to replace a rusted bar and chain and fuel/oil lines.

• Like 1

I used that fibreglass and resin patch kit on a gas tank 2 years ago, I think.  Still holding without a problem, in fact I forgot I had done this til now.  lol.

• Like 1