Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
sblg43

6216 just joined the herd

sblg43

I just fixed an Ariens tractor for a friend and upon returning it to his house, I spotted a Simplicity 6216 in his backyard. I don't know much about the 6216's. However, there was a rototiller attached to it and that got my attention (attachments are sometimes pretty rare for any older tractor). Anyway, I took some pictures (he wasn't there) and came home to research the 6216's. I went on FB marketplace to see what was for sale. Son of a gun, my friend had that very unit for sale on FB!  His listing indicated that the engine ran well and it came with a rototiller, snowblower, and a deck. Also, second gear doesn't work. He was asking $400. I called him and told him to delete the listing - consider it sold to me. I don't know when I am going to have time for this, and I don't even have a garden. But I do have visions of antique tractor shows in my future.

He also has an Allis Chalmers T-811. He is hanging on to that one for now. But he knows that I am interested in that one as well. I am not as interested in the smaller engine, but I wonder if the T-811 tranny would work in the 6216? Things to ponder.

20221120_142033.jpg

20221120_142002.jpg

20221120_141922.jpg

AC710

Looks like the T811 is an AC variant of the Simplicity 6216 - both made in Port Washington. Different engine but both with the old reliable 3-speed gear transmission plus a variator for lower gears. Transmission swap might be a drop-in job.

sblg43
6 hours ago, AC710 said:

Looks like the T811 is an AC variant of the Simplicity 6216 - both made in Port Washington. Different engine but both with the old reliable 3-speed gear transmission plus a variator for lower gears. Transmission swap might be a drop-in job.

The friend that I bought this from thought the same thing. That is why he bought the Allis in the first place.  However, the auxiliary pulley on the 6216 transaxle that powers the rototiller is not present on the Allis. Since then, he just uses the Allis to mow grass. He also stated that the Allis is not as heavy duty as the 6216.

sblg43

Brought it all home tonight. Tractor, rototiller, deck and blower. His original post on FB marketplace did not include the deck because he was saving it as a backup for his Allis Chalmers. However, I told him that I wanted the whole package and that it would all be kept together and not sold off piece by piece. Good friend that he is, he was all concerned about everything needing belts. Hey, for $400, I will take the whole package as is. Mostly, everything needs a bath. He bought this used in the 90's and never did use the blower or deck. Very very little rust anywhere. I am pretty pumped!

20221123_172011.jpg

20221123_172129.jpg

20221123_172004.jpg

• Like 1

Chris727

Nice find. I had a 6216 for a few years. Was a good unit. I had to remove the dash and free up the swing arm for the variator as the machine would not vary its speed.  Link to the rebuild:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/34454-6216-varidrive-progress/?tab=comments#comment-34457

Edited by Chris727
  • Like 2