Vari-speed pulley

Dudley

I have a B112 with vari-speed. The bevel gear drive
pulley rotates 90 degrees on the shaft before engaging
the shaft in either direction. I think there's suppose to
be a woodruf key, but if mine were sheared, I don't
know why it would engage the pulley to the shaft at
all. I haven't removed the pulley yet because I don't
own a 1 1/8 socket to get it off. (yet 8^)

Thanks,
Greg

The outer drive pulley is keyed onto the shaft and should be a tight fit. If it is REALLY worn it could be slipping that much and catching on a bur. If it is the shaft is also probably worn. :( Also the 3 pins/holes could be worn on the inner side as well as the bevel gears. I may have a vari setup for parts.

Duh, I forgot to ask my question. Should the pulley be firmly engaged with the shaft, or is there supposed to be slack as I described.

Greg

Yup. Jeff hit the nail on the head. The bevel gear shaft is worn badly on both sides of the woodruff key channel, and the pulley key channel is similarly worn on one side. The woodruff key itself is bent 90 degrees. This just isn't my month. Two weeks ago, my computer's power supply blew up to the tune of at least $100 (I'm afraid to find out how much this is really going to cost), this week, my wife's car dropped a $150 front blinker assembly onto the highway, never to be found, and now the B112 wants more money. Jeez, I'm giving it a $600 rebuilt engine. Give an inch--take a mile...

Greg

• 3 weeks later...