Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

A 'Simple' question

SimpleMan

Everybody. What's your favorite thing to do with your tractor(s), (other than everything)....and why. Mine is mowing the lawn...gives me time to think about "life's little issues"...and it's a job that isn't done in half an hour...so I get to spend some quality time on my Sovereign. "Keep it simple" SimpleMan

Hi , my favorite time on a tractor is grading the driveway. I am always amazed at how much the ole B-1 will do. The tractor looks terrible, but is a real workhorse. Neal

well my tractor has been apart for a while, but in my mind my favorite thing to do with my B-1 will be mowing my lawn while my neighbor with his MTD who always gives me crap about my B-1 and how I should buy a nice tractor like "his" is pulling his hair out trying to start that piece of crap!!! HAHA!

Believe it or not, I most enjoy working on them. Not repairing something that broke. Just tweaking, adjusting, and making "improvements".

I sometimes use mine to chop through heavy brush and build a new walking trail through our trees. I would not want to do it with a lightweight deck like you see on some new tractors. It wont bog down and if it does you just back out and clear the deck out. It's like you said about cutting the grass, but after your done you can go for walks on what you just finished building. Good weekend project.

I'd have to side with Dutch, I do like pplaying on the tractors, but its more fun to be inventive with them. SmilinSam

It all depends on what tractor that I am driveing the one wonderboy 700 is just for show so I like to just drive it at shows.The other wonderboy is just for tilling so I like it for that a lot the ,3212 is for cutting the grass so that is a lot of fun on that one, and don't forget about all the walkbehinds they all have special jobs that make them fun to use.That does not include all the other makes that I have but they are not as much fun but get a lot of looks.Bob never enoph tractors.

Like Dutch and Sam I really enjoy working on them. Its always fun to work on something that is relativly simple and logical in design. My Allis has never failed me. The work I do on it is usually for making improvements to newer and better parts. It was quite the basketcase when I bought it. I think only the dash and the hood now are from the original tractor. Dan

I like to fiddle with them. I have 2 Simplicity's tractors, a 6216 and a 6 hp Broadmoor. My property is less than a 1/2 acre, so I don't really need either one. They keep me out of trouble.

Well for me i have a tractor i like for snow, 1 i like to mow the lawn with and relax, 1 i like to ride to the neighbors hous with (ith a hydro and goes fast :) and last but not least I try (try i say ) to keep one around to tinker with. right now i am happy because i got one stripped down to the frame. I come home from lunch throw a coat of paint on it and off i go back to work. Some day it will ba back together LOL

I'd have to be either tilling or snowblowing -- I like to hear the governor kick in and that throaty growl sound as it chews through something tough or deep.... Snowblowing is probably the most fun, since you can watch it fly 25-40 ft, but tilling is close -- these tillers do a great job. I got at least a half-dozen compliments from neighbors on my tiller and the job it does when I tilled up my front yard to sow it... It's kind of fun to hear a Kubota owner say "that's a neat setup -- that's what I need for my garden"... The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

Except for the cold weather,I enjoy pushing snow.Tractor gets a good workout,neighbors appreciate it,and it's always fun to get back inside with a hot toddy or two afterwards.

I enjoy collecting the parts I need as I have collected all my tractors from the 60's and 70's. After I decide to slow down a little (again), I will try understand my noted description of what I bought and match the parts to the tractors.. I have accumulated 20 tractors and have been buying needed parts for restoration when I get to it. Have enjoyed reading others comments!.. M. Kerr

I side with Dutch. Fixing up and improving these wornderful machines to make them better and more usable. I also like doing anything with my tractors that make my neighbors wish their little tin can wannabees could work like mine. Rod H.

I really perfur the sound of my 1938 101R with the 6cyl chy engine. I love to trim the trees along the drive with the snow blower on the 1965 5000 gas Ford. But best of all is mowing the 3 acres of grass with my 1989 6517. On the north side of the property is a creek going threw the woods. on the south side is a vacant field so there is lots of wild life. I don't trim any bushes as the deer to a wonderful job at keeping them trimmed. I see wood ducks nesting in hollow trees mallards in the creek and also in the pond next door. Then there the smell of fresh mowed grass, close to the smell of fresh mowed hay. Al

I like to mow in the nude............JUUUUUUUST KIDDING! Right now ive got 2 tractors tore down, to be honest im getting a bellyfull of restoration. I do love to mow. I keep "walking trails" on the edge of all of our hayfields, my wife loves them, they wind up hills and down by the lake, its truly private and beautifull. When i get done she always tells me how much she enjoys it. I dont care what the experts say, I like the golf course cut, right down as far as she can cut, i personally believe it helps control bugs. Im itching to get a tiller for the landlord ive heard they really whale. dougm

I have to say blowing snow with my 7790 as that is all it has ever done. I have used it to pull push or drag a dead car or truck in to my Garage when I owned it. I have spent as many as 12 hrs straight blowing snow with it. People here even the dealer are amazed at what this tractor has and can do. my favorite experience was digging the cities Green & Yellow 4wd side walk plow out of a snow bank when it got stuck. When i had 3 acres of lawn and my 7016 I loved to mow. Then i moved to a house that the lawn wasn't big enough to turn the tractor around on. Now I have a bigger lawn but I have some one mow it. He only charges me $10.00 so I let him do it. This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

I like mowing, but I REALLY like clearing the driveway with the snowblower! Probably has something to do with not a whole lot of snow around here in general, but boy do I look forward to a good snowfall! -karl

Maintanance, I love getting on the tractor knowing everything that could be done, is done. Nighteye

I like mowing, or using the yard cart hauling compost. I've been re-doing the lawn, and have really been using the buggers outa my cart! ;) I have a spike areator that I like to pull when mowing, need to start looking for a core areator though. I like doing maintenance on the old 12RTG too. Been looking for a set of OEM headlights for it, no luck so far though. 1992 12RTG

I like to plow with my Sovereign the most I look forward to it every year. Two years ago a friend of mine plowed my garden as a favor. I did not have the nerve to tell him he screwed me out fun! I also like to update this tractor to things that work, like 3 point hitch and foot gas pedal.

Other than mowing the lawn, I like tilling gardens with my 716H. Want to find the 38" heavy duty tiller to replace my beatup 36" one though. This is the best tractor I've ever owned.

My favorite time is getting the tractor that someone gave up on home, tinker with it for awhile till it thumps along smoothly. I can feel the satisfaction spreading through me. Then whatever the job at hand, listening to its smoothe running sounds...Sounds too simple as I reread this but that's how it is...Woody