Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

1964 land lord b/s compression?

alleyyooper

My father in law has a 1964 land lord with a 9 horse briggs engine he bought new. He says it is hard to get started, I told him that it could be low compression since it is well aged. He has used this tractor for snow blowing / bladeing, tilling / mowing till 1972 . Now it is just a snow blower / tiller tractor. I checked the compression and it has close to 100 psi. Any one know what the compression should be? If this is close to being right what should we look for as a possiable fix. I know continial engines in Masseys, Not briggs. Al Al

I was told at a service school, that Briggs does not publish compression stats for their engines. All that we were told, was that if you spin the engine by hand, backwards against the compression stroke, and it bounces back, the compression is satisfactory. Pat

I'm no mechanic but hard to start could be from weak starter, burned points, timing off, bad battery, bad gas, dirty carb. coil......Art

Thanks for the help. He told me that he puts the battery charger on it, But I don't know if it has a higher amp start mode. I do have to look at it closer, could be the starter is draging even?. Al