Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Vickers Hydro slipping?

automan

I have problems with my 314 in reverse. If I have the RPM up at normal level, it will slip and not back up very well at all. Forward is great, it is instant and strong. If I lower the RPM and try it in reverse, it seems to try to pull and engage a bit better. Is there an adjustment for the reverse? travis

I would check the lever right in front of the hyro pump with the engine not running. Move your directional speed lever to the full reverse position and then try to manually move the peg on the front of the pump to see if if it will move into the reverse position further than could be done with the main lever. I don't think I'm explaining this very well but thought I'd try to help anyway. Good luck, Scott

i rember talking to a guy that has been dealing with simplicith machines for many years, he told me that many of these simplicity/vickers hydros had that problem of poor proformance in reverse. As a matter of fact he asked me how my machine was i told him great. "well you must have gotten 1 of the good ones" he replied. If your problem is resent mabee it could be a linkage problem. If it has been a chronic problem it may be an inherent flaw. The gentleman i spoke with did say the valves or somthing in the pump/tranny could be adjusted but that forward proformance could be compromised. I would be interested in hearing from the other more advanced members to see if they too have heard about this problem being common to some vickers equipped hydros. i know this probably dosent help you too much but i figured i would pass it along john

I have a 416 with the same problem. I adjusted the linkage so the lever pushes more in the reverse direction than forward. Yes forward speed is reduced, but now I can back up better. Still not 100% though, reverse speed is fine, infact probably faster than forward (good for snowblowing), but I still don't have much power in reverse and any significant resistance will stop it.

I have tried the adjustment thing. The lever on the hydro seems to use a return spring to move it back toward the reverse. It seems that when you move the lever into reverse, you are actually "allowing" the return spring to pull the lever on the hydro into reverse. I overadjusted the linkage to give it the most reverse I could, it only allowed the tractor to go faster, not any more power, still slipped the same. The amount of travel should incease speed but the pulling power should be consistent, if it were not and if it were slipping all the time, it would not last very long. any advice would be great travis

Off the top of my head, it sounds like adjusting the lever to favor reverse increases the volume of oil in the tranny, but not pressure, so you don't actually get much power. Volume makes you go fast, pressure let's you move heavy things.

Apparently they weren't designed for much reverse action.I would check for all lost motion[WEAR] in all linkage parts ESPECIALLY the balljoint at the pump control lever I personally modifiy the swash plate travel inside the pump and it fixes the problem.But it is major surgery,,,not for the faint of heart!