Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Slow leak fix?

bruker1

The front tire of my mower has a very small pinhole leak in it. The puncture is way too small to try and plug it and I really don't want to dismount it as it was a real PITA when I mounted the tire on the rim a few years ago. Should I try a very small amount of Slime?

• Like 1

Depending on age/condition of tire, try plugging first, yes you probably will have to make hole bigger. if that works you got it. next is a tube. yep little tires can be tough to do. SLIME IS ONLY IF YOU WILL NEVER SEE WHEEL AGAIN AND YOU JUST RUINED SOMEONE ELSES DAY DOWN THE ROAD. It will eat the tire eventually and rust up rim real nice as well. 

• Like 2

Slime is about as much fun as Never Seize. It gets on everything when you have to get in it again. I did slime a set of Troy-Bilt tires, but, removal will require cutting the wheels off the shaft, and a new set of wheels for the tires. That said. Will you likely ever remove the tires again? If not, Slime usually works fine for slow leaks, a tube works better, but it can puncture, as well, just cannot be plugged. Be careful of the "quality" of tube you get from those low priced retailers like Amazon and others. Might save $3.00 on a tube, that leaks worse than your tire does, now

1 hour ago, MikeES said:

If you are going to use a tire sealant I would use Flat Out, instead of Slime.  

What's the advantage?  Do they both mess up the tire for possible removal?