Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Need Carb Help

WaltB

I need help in setting the carb on my 8 HP Briggs. I have it running but am trying to get it to run better. Today, I tinkered with the idle mixture and high-speed mixture. Mowed some lawn but noticed black soot on the hood, so I brought it back to the garage and shut it off. It was hotter than normal probably because I was running too rich. So I started with idle mixture and high-speed mixture 1 turn out. It starts right up but a bit rough and occasional back-fire, I can move the high-speed mixture out another 1/2 or so and that helps, but I would like a procedure to follow. Then, I got help in the search, it says to set to 1200 RPM. OK, how do I do this. I know I need a tachometer. Could someone explain how to hook what to what to see engine RPM? I couldn't find this in search. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Walt, First: Here is where you get a Vibratach. It is cheap, accurate and works on ANY engine. http://www.perr.com/tecstore.html $13.50 http://www.perr.com/bsstore.html $16.90 Guess which one I would pick. They're both the same. Second: Here is how to adjust which is what you need right now. Third: Do yourself a favor and purchase a manual. You'll be glad you did. ...Woody

woody i clicked on your link because i am interested in innexpensive gadjets that make my life easier, how does that vibra-tac work from the picture on that link i cant see it very well john

It is made of plastic with a wire wound inside. You extend the wire and its vibration or lack thereof indicates the engines speed. You hold it on the engine. The instructions come with it and are simple to follow. You will not be wasting your money...It's intended for tuneup work...Unless you're another type of primate you cannot use it from the driver's seat...HaHaWoody It can even work on a diesel..

Woody, Thanks for the link. Ordered Vibratach last week, got it yesterday. Checked my AC716 engine, running a little slow, only 2600. Didn't think it was turning fast enough at WOT. I appreciate the help. Rod H.

By the way, Woodie, you can do it from the seat. On most tractors, if the engines have solid mounts(no rubber), you can use the tack on the hood. This is how I checked my AC716 yesterday. I was also sitting in the seat. We use this tack on the hoods at our tractor pulls to check max RPM. Just wanted to put in my 2 cents. Rod H.

Glad to help Rod. I was just joking about the arm thing. It seemed funny to me. Maybe it's not...W

Just readin too fast, misinterpreted the comment. Read it second time. Got it! My arm is barely lone enough to reach the choke, since I don't have the cable hooked up. To use the tach on the engine while sitting in the seat you would have to be a real knuckle dragger, that is for sure. Rod H.